Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed please.

Article about: Hello, A friend of mine has an imperial German shoulderboard. It is ( in my humble opinion) a pioneer one. It's black with red piping and a number 3 on it. I've tried looking into 3 pioneer

?

Default Help needed please.

Hello,
    A friend of mine has an imperial German shoulderboard. It is ( in my humble opinion) a pioneer one. It's black with red piping and a number 3 on it.
    I've tried looking into 3 pioneer regiment , but so far can't find a thing. I can't even find out of they were Prussian, Saxon etc.
    Any pointers on research would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

I'd start here, it's a quality site run by a an advanced collector...

Kaiser's Bunker

cheers

Tony

?

Is the number the same color as the piping or is it a little lighter? It could be either 3rd Pioneer Battalion or 3rd Sturmbataillon (these were red piped with rose number). This is for late war (1915 to 1918) boards. The 3PB would have had a red board with a yellow 3 on the blue uniform. I believe that on the field/grey 1907/10 uniform until 1915 the board would have had a field/grey base color.

Can you post a photo?

?

Hi aicusv and many thanks for your informative reply. The board belongs to an older French gentleman who unfortunately isn't that tech savvy, so I'm still waiting for a photo.
    I have seen it many times though and can confirm it's a red stitched number on a black field with red piping.
    So am I to believe i'm looking for 3rd Pioneer Battalion rather than Regiment? This would certainly answer why I've failed to find anything.
    My goal is to find out if 3rd Pioneer Battalion was ever stationed in Hermies, pas de Calais where the board was found.
    Hermies was a large camp/ hospital during the Somme campaign and was taken by the Aussies on 9 April 1917 and fought over twice I. 1918.

?

Pionier-Batl. von Rauch (1.Brandenburgisches ) Nr.3 (Spandau) III Armee Korps, I Armee. The German First Army did serve in the Somme campaign. Pioneer battalions served with their companies dispatched to other units within their corps.

?

Aicusv, thanks once again for the information. It's certainly a great start to my research.
    I'd genuinely thought I'd never be able to find anything out.
    Thanks again
    Mark