Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help with a possible Austro Prussian Medal or Award please

Article about: I bought this last night from a guy and sorry these are the best pics I have of it until I get it but its driving me crazy trying to find out just what it is. Any idea on this one? Has writi

CGR
    ?

Default Help with a possible Austro Prussian Medal or Award please

I bought this last night from a guy and sorry these are the best pics I have of it until I get it but its driving me crazy trying to find out just what it is. Any idea on this one?
    Has writing on one side but cannot make it out and on the other side it has what looks to me 1917 and below that 1869.
    Anyone have a clue? Thanks and sorry I don't have better pics right now but just trying to find out what it is before I get it. It came from an estate of a vet in a grouping of 32 other items.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with a possible Austro Prussian Medal or Award please
    P
    Many

CGR
    ?

Sorry, I guess there is not enough to tell.
    Was just trying to figure out what it was before it arrived. Will take some pics in a few days when it arrives.

?

The resolution of the pic is to low to enlarge and try to see what it says on the back. Add to that the angle at which it was taken also obscures the details.
    When you get it, take the pic at the same angle as the first front pic.

Semper Fi
    Phil

CGR
    ?

Thanks! Will do!

CGR
    ?

Got it today and all the other stuff. I was wrong on the dates on the front its 1417 and 1869 on the front. The back reads "Dem Schutzen Konig Brilon"
    I think it translates to For Protection of the King in Brilon which is a town in North Rhine Westphalia.
    Any thoughts what it is? Thanks!

Quote by CGR View Post
    The back reads "Dem Schutzen Konig Brilon" I think it translates to For Protection of the King in Brilon which is a town in North Rhine Westphalia.
    No; that's not what it means. It is "To the Schützenkönig, Brilon".

A Schützenkönig [lit. "Shooters' King"] is the reigning champion shot in a traditional shooting association [Schützenverein]. The new Schützenkönig is usually determined in a shooting competition [the Königsschießen] held during a shooters' festival [Schützenfest] and remains in this honorary office for a year (in some associations, for two years) when he is succeeded by a new King. The Schützenkönig acts as a figurehead and representative for his association and is held in high regard by his fellow members.

See here for a list of the Schützenkönige of Brilon:

St. Hubertus-Schützenbruderschaft 1417 Brilon

As for the years: 1417 was the year the Schützen of Brilon were formed. (At the time such associations were still in the nature of armed citizens' militias, but they have long since become wholly civilian in nature. Incidentally, the oldest Schützengilden date back to the 12th century. At the time the weapons they shot were obviously not rifles but bows and crossbows.)
    The King of 1869 and original owner of your medal was a man named W. Florin.

CGR
    ?

Wow! Thanks so much for the info! Is this a desirable piece? I have never come across anything like this before. It came with a grouping of about 34 othet items.

Quote by CGR View Post
    Wow! Thanks so much for the info! Is this a desirable piece? I have never come across anything like this before. It came with a grouping of about 34 othet items.
    Although not a military award, it is still a nice piece of history and an item that stems from the long and rich culture of such associations. So, yes, I would consider it a desirable piece. (I cannot comment on financial value, though.)

CGR
    ?

Thanks! I am not too much concerned about the value as I think its a neat piece to keep. Much appreciate your help sir!