Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with this possible trench art?

Article about: Hi people,hope everyone is well.Ive not been near a pc for 4yrs and have missed this site awfully! I picked this Stein up at a carboot and am curious if it was made in the trenches or near b

Default Help with this possible trench art?

Hi people,hope everyone is well.Ive not been near a pc for 4yrs and have missed this site awfully! I picked this Stein up at a carboot and am curious if it was made in the trenches or near by?Which army group does it say etc..?. Im stumped,it cant be faked or why would it say 1914-17?. Anybody have any comments please?, thanks. Mark
    P.S.sorry if they have come out sideways,like i said i havent used a pc for a long time
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with this possible trench art?   Help with this possible trench art?  

Hi, I would not put this in the category of "trench art". Seems to me a commemorative item, made for a vet perhaps?

?

It appears to be typical inexpensive German stoneware stein of the period. Todays value would be $50 to$ 80.

Thanks for the replies guys,most interesting! I just find it strange that someone would make a commemorative item during a conflict that hadnt ended? Would the writing on it be the army group of the vet?,i dont speak German but recognise a few words? .Thanks for the pricing Steve,thats nice to know its worth that much,i paid pennies for it but more curious about it than anything.

I believe it says on it Army Group, Crown- Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria 1914- 1917. Rupprecht's army group was heavily engaged on the Western Front, throughout the First World War and notably against the Allied offensives of 1917. Google for more information.

I agree that this would be some sort of commemorative piece. Wherever it was made, it shows that there must have been a certain esprit de corps felt by members of Army Group Rupprecht. I like it a lot.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I believe it says on it Army Group, Crown- Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria 1914- 1917.
    Exactly. (The "Kpr." stands for "Kronprinz".)

Thank you Spitace41!,much obliged! .Ok i guess it must be a commemorative piece then,for those in that army group only. Fascinating! I will now google the info you gave to see what the group got up to!. Must have been a special action for them.It throws up more questions than answers. I appreciate all of your information ,you guys are the dogs bollocks! :-) Mark

Greetings Cornish1,

These mugs come with differing end dates and sizes 1L and.5L. I have seen the same styled mug named to a Bavarian aviation unit (I did not buy it) as well. Below are mine, notice the .5L one on the right is end-dated "1918." These are quite common to find in Bavarian antique shops/markets today.

V/r Lance

Militariaone! nice jugs! :-) .I didnt expect to see these!,yes i note the dates differ on different mugs,im not at home right now but im sure mine has a 1L inscribed on it somewhere.It also has a small hole in the top of the handle,was wondering if it was missing a lid?. Your 2 and mine are the only 3 ive ever seen.Nice one,thank you for posting this,very much appreciated my friend.All the best,Mark

Greetings Mark,

Nope, no lids. I believe the holes (both of mine have them too) are just where the clay was injected into the mold. I have seen plenty of these for sale (like 10) and none has ever appeared with a lid.

V/r Lance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast