Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

how do i find the history of a ww1 german officer

Article about: i bought a bavarian reservist officers pickelhaube written inside is oberst ackermann, 17th bavarian infantric regt orff, gersheim, 1st bavarian army corps, how can i reaserch this person he

Default how do i find the history of a ww1 german officer

i bought a bavarian reservist officers pickelhaube written inside is oberst ackermann, 17th bavarian infantric regt orff, gersheim, 1st bavarian army corps, how can i reaserch this person help needed

?

I believe ancestry has some Bavarian records but you'll need the worldwide subscription to view them. Do you speak German? If so then you might want to drop the Bavarian archives a line English: TYPO3 Government Package

Having never tried to research a German soldier apart from checking the casualty lists, I can't say how easy or difficult it is but I imagine Ackermann is a common name.

I'm sure those experienced in researching Germans will be able to help you with better suggestions.

Tony

You would be hard pressed to find a reserve officer of that rank in a Bavarian (or any regiment for that matter). However you will find an Oberleutnant d.R. Philipp Ackermann of 17. Infanterie-Regiment Orff. Born 17 March 1882 at Creuzburg in the minor state of Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, he was an apothecary by profession at the Adler Apotheke in Mühlhausen in 1914.

Leutnant d.R.: 20.6.08
    Oberleutnant d.R.: 30.11.14
    Hauptmann d.R.: 25.5.17 with seniority (Patent) of 17.1.17

He was awarded the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class on 25.10.14 and the Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Saxon-Weimar Order of the White Falcon with Swords on 28.10.15.

He survived the war.

Regards
    Glenn

Quote by golf19gt View Post
    i bought a bavarian reservist officers pickelhaube written inside is oberst ackermann, 17th bavarian infantric regt orff, gersheim, 1st bavarian army corps, how can i reaserch this person help needed
    Pictures would be good if you would be so kind.

I think Glenn is on the money here.

It seems to me that ranks when written in such items were normally abbreviated and what you are reading as "Oberst" may well be Oberlt for Oberleutnant (although correctly it should be Obltn) whereas Oberst would be abbreviated as Obst (which bizarrely is actualy a German word in itself, it means Fruit!!).

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."