Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?

Article about: Given the period of the original photo, my guess is that his shoulder straps are blue (hellblau) with a red cypher and crown. The shoulder strap plate chart shown above is from a very specif

?

Default ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?

Can anyone give me any interesting information on the Pickelhaube my great uncle is wearing in the photo. He served in WW1 as well as WW2 and was from Biebrich (Hessan) Germany. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?

It is an enlisted prussian picklehaub for parade dress with horse hair plume and brass fittings. Not commanly found in this configuration.
    SteveR

Is that a second or fourth kompanie troddel?

Anton

Pablo, Gentlemen, a super studio portrait of a Fusiler of the "Füsilier-Regt. von Gerdsdorff (1.Kurhessisches) Nr.80" of the Ist Battalion garrisoned at Wiesbaden, part of the XVIII Armee Korps (18th Army Corps). This Fusilier is wearing as Steve quite rightly points out a model 1895 Pickelhaube (could be a model 1891, but we can not determine the rear spine design), he is wearing a black plume (Haarbusch) indicating "Line Infantry Regiment", his "Wappen" (Pickelhaube badge) is plain line infantry Adler (i.e. no extra mottos or dates), so his Pickelhaube fits the correct specs for the 80th Fusiler Regt. The clincher is his tunic detail, he wears a Model 1897 Dunkelblau waffenrock (Dark blue tunic) identified by its smaller buttons, earlier tunics had larger buttons (that filled the button hole slit!) unfotunatly we cannot see the shoulder straps that would easily identify the Regiment, it is fitted with Brandenburg cuffs, its upright panel piped in yellow (although that is not as easy to see !) notice how the tunic is fitted with the single white coloured bar around its collar with smaller versions on its cuffs, these were known as "Litzen" there were 3 styles of litzen, one single, one double, both with "T" bar ends, and thirdly what is called "old Prussian" Litzen, a single white bar coming to a point at the end, these are what our fellow is wearing in the photograph, so this information marries with 80th as it was the only Regiment to wear all these items together, i.e. a Brandenburg cuff, Vertical Panel Piped in Yellow with Old Pattern White Litzen, with gilt buttons, Red/Yellow Cypher shoulder straps and a Gilt Line Eagle Pickelhaube badge.Your Great-Uncle also comes from within the recruitment area of this Regiment. I agree with Anton, with regards to Troddel identification. Hope this has helped identify your relatives unit. The 80th Fusiler Regiment was part of the 42nd Infantry Brigade, which itself was part of the 21st Division of the Imperial German Arny, see here for its history etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Di...(German_Empire) See attached shoulder chart for shoulder strap identification,3rd row down, 5th strap. in, Prost! Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?  

Pablo, I have a "Dunkelblau" tunic from the 86th Fusiler Regiment its shoulder strap is virtually the same design as your Great-Uncles Regiment, except for the colour ! but as you see the 86th was not authorised to wear the "Litzen" ! see my tunic here.....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?   ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?  

?

I love the tunic you have there, stunning.

?

Thanks again, Steve for an informative and very interesting description of my Uncle's attire. I knew him when I was a kid....a very funloving and interesting person. I also have his shoulderboard which corresponds with Rgt. #80 (see photo) as well as his WW1 EK2. Here is a WW2 photo. Thanks again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?   ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?  

Pablo, snap ! I also have the corresponding M15 field grey strap for the 86th Fusiler Regiment to compliment the "Dunkelblau" strap !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by AntonEbans View Post
    Is that a second or fourth kompanie troddel?

Anton
    Sorry gentlemen, I meant to add this photo with my original post.

Anton

ID of Pickelhaube in old photo?

?

Damn your the man Steve.
    SteveR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast