Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.

Article about: Ok, again I'm outta my comfort area and would appreciate some input. I have "acquired" an EK1 - of the Imperial type. It is NON magnetic (usually a red flag) BUT is stamped 825 on

Default Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.

Ok, again I'm outta my comfort area and would appreciate some input.

I have "acquired" an EK1 - of the Imperial type. It is NON magnetic (usually a red flag) BUT is stamped 835 on the back (silver content) it is also stamped L/52 on the pin!
    Now considering the LDO numbering system didn't come out to much later - it is a HUGE red flag - unless......................

It was made by Zimmerman as a replacement for a lost award (possible) at a later date - private purchased 835 silver EK? possible - and probable!

Everything checks out in "the bible book" exact............ except for......the catch faces the wrong way!! The pin is the correct "20" type, the top hinge IS magnetic ..... and the cross itself under magnification looks ok......photos are not the best as they were taken with my phone!

Call me cynical - or paranoid - or both

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.   Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.  

Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.   Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.  

Last edited by John Brandon; 10-05-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Eisernes Kreuz 1.
    P
    Many

Hi John,
    That is a very unusual cross and you really did your homework.
    The only thing wrong with this cross is that the catch has been replaced.
    It's not an uncommon thing. I have a few with repaired catches.

Most of the LDO marked Zimmermans use a different core. However, no worries, the core on
    this one is a known Zimmerman core. It's also unusual to find a LDO cross that is also silver
    stamped as actual silver frames are not all that common on TR crosses.

I think your cross was bought as a replacement by someone willing to spend the the extra
    money for a nice quality silver cross. He then snagged it on something and the catch was
    damaged and replaced.

Nice find
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks soooooooo much for that information, i feel much better now as at first i had serious doubts...... but it is really pleasing when you get this kind of response. Thanks

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Everything checks out in "the bible book"
    Hi John - what did you use as your resource? Knowledge is power so be good to know some books on this.
    Many thanks
    Nick

Happy to help.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by ChewiOne View Post
    Hi John - what did you use as your resource? Knowledge is power so be good to know some books on this.
    Many thanks
    Nick
    Hi Nick it's the iron cross1. class by Maerz & Stimson. There's a nice section on Imperial EK's that actually covers the Zimmerman type. Worth every penny IMHO

Many thanks - added to my list of books to get.
    Nick