Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 215 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Imperial Eks

Article about: Excellent EKs you have there Chopperman. Can you tell me more info about this one?

Default Re: Imperial Eks

Hi, the group looks ok to me; but I'd still like to see more pics (front & back) to be really sure, Cheers, Richard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Eks
    P
    Many

Hey Richard,

Thanks for post, I have no doupt about authenticity, I was couriouse about the use of the 4 mounting rings. I would love to see other similar examples, but even after searching through most of this thread have yet to see one. I'll be sure to postmore pictures when I can!

thanks kindly,

Jess

Hi Jess, I'm sure I've seen 1914 EK1's with loops; but I can't think where!! Cheers, Richard.

I would also like to see some good close up shots of the front and back. If you don't have access to a camera, put it on a flatbed scanner. Most all of my pictures are actully scans.

I have never seen a 1914 with loops that I felt was original. That being said, I think this one has possibilities. You say that you "have no doubt on authenticity" I am wondering how you be so certain? Did this come direct from the family, is there any provenance or did it come from a dealer?

Please believe that I am not trying to be a pain here. I would like to see an original setup like this. I would like to add this style of cross to my own collection. So far the only crosses with loops I have seen were crosses that have been "upgraded" by individuals trying to get premium money for an otherwise ordinary cross.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Good morning or afternoon to all you Europeans.

As always, buy the artifact, not the story, but upon request, here is the story. Once a year my company goes to Germany on business. Every time we go we stay with a local family to save on boarding cost. In the past I bought a number of family Reich items from them. On this trip I extended my vacation by staying in Munich for a few days. The family informed me that they had friends there who would be interested in selling this set if I was interested. There was no real back story to the case, just that it had been in the family. And that’s the story of how I came across this little beauty.

As for why I believe the set is real, the case is more telling than what is inside it. The case is made from oak covered in leather. On the outside of the case, certain areas have been rubbed clean to expose the materials. Also, one of the hinges has been repaired professionally by a hollowed rod having the end spread to prevent it from moving. This as opposed to just putting a new hinge on the case that would not match the existing one. This tells me that some care was taken after the case was around for a while. On the interior of the case is covered in what smells to me like aged silk and velvet. The platformed area is the most telling. (The areas where the two wounded badges and EK1 have been set in the case.) Even thought the woundeds are of almost identical backing, they can not be placed in opposite settings. The holes were cute specifically for those badges. Same thing with the EK1, if you try to rotate it so that the crown were on the bottom, it would not fit properly into the case. This base is also cut from wood, which I also assume to be oak. Also, anther interesting note, there is a faint impression on the velvet and the silk of the EK1. It appears as if the cross had been flipped over, so the rings were facing up and the 1914 side where facing down by mistake and then the case closed for a period of time. This left a permanent impression on the roof and base of the case.

All that being said, those medals belong in that case. And to the best of my knowledge, that is a period case. Jeweler made, but a period case.

Then there is the medal itself. From the best of my ability I can not see any place where there might have been a pin or clasp removed. The areas around there the rings have been soldered to the back show a nice even discoloration from being heated during the joining process. There also does not appear to be any strange flow of solder caused by a rough or textured surface under the rings. So even if the rings were attached after the removal of a pin, the area was filled or polished very nicely.

If it is a fake, someone went through a lot of work for what I paid for the set. I have been wrong in the past, but I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Thanks Kindly,
    Jess
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Eks   Imperial Eks  

Imperial Eks   Imperial Eks  

Imperial Eks  
    Last edited by jesshaedrich; 02-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.

actually, another little detail about the case which im sure takes something away from the value, but it appears like someone used the back of the case as backing to a note pad. There is faint indentation of 94.80 LTH on the back side. I dont know if that means anything to anyone.

I am really leaning in favor of this one. The case is one of the biggest factors in my my thinking this is a good cross.

Cases can and have been faked. But this one looks like a
    period example to me. Plus the mention of the smell also helps
    sell the story. I agree with Jess that it has the look of being OLD.

Crosses have also been faked. I have seen some 2nd class crosses that have been taken apart and a solid back put on
    to convert to a first class. (some with some very unique
    attachment styles) Many of these are VERY convincing.
    However the combination of this cross and the case IMO make a
    very good argument for being a nice period made private
    purchase set.
    gregM

myself around.

If there are any other angles, detailed shots or anything else you'd like me to describe on the cross, I can take more pictures at work tomorrow. I was wary on the cross at first, being that I've never seen the four loop design before. It was the case that really convinced me that everything was on the up and up. The look of the cross is very nice. Its hard to fool me with EK's especially Imperial ones. And this one just has the look. I'll post the rest of my collection when I get a chance.

Talk to you soon,
    Jess

Quote by jesshaedrich View Post
    I'll post the rest of my collection when I get a chance.
    Looking forward to seeing it .
    gregM

myself around.

Im reading through all the posts from the beginning. This really is a great thread. Thanks for sharing all your crosses. I think my favorites have been the the 1870s with the various hanging methods.

Page 25 of 215 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 75 125 ... LastLast