Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 154 of 215 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 164 204 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2141

Imperial Eks

Article about: Excellent EKs you have there Chopperman. Can you tell me more info about this one?

or perhaps worn with pride by a grieving widow or mother.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Eks
    P
    Many

We may never know. The attached, thinner ribbon looks modern to me: somewhat soft/silken and machine sewn.

Thank you all for your comments.

?

Thanks for comments. At first I would like to say I didn´t buy this piece as a neck bow with a cross and with some story. When I bought it as a beginner (for 14 €), it were just three pieces of old ribbon for me (ribbon bow, long piece of ribbon with patent button and short piece of ribbon). I thought I would have nice spare old ribbons for all my future crosses without it...

To be honest, I already sold shortest piece (12 cm) with some KO cross, when I found out that these pieces were originally together (there is a second part of patent button on the reverse of bow as well (picture 1) and the ends of all ribbon pieces go together like a puzzle). Then, in a process of learning, I found out that this particular bow style - different from butterfly-like woman´s bow - is called "wedding bow". Typical wedding bow (as seen on pics 2 and 3) has safety pin on the back, so previous device is unusual only in one thing - guy just decided to spend his wedding with EK2 around his neck - and not pinned on the frack.

As we know EK2 could be worn during the day of award ceremony and then only during special occassions, like military parades, state ceremonies, weddings (and funerals as well, when EK2 was "worn" by pillow). During all other - "common" - days, only EK2 ribbon in tunic buttonhole was expected to be seen. I already saw many wedding bows (as well as some photos of them in wear) but I also saw many "common day" devices for wearing the simple ribbon in tunic buttonhole. EK2 ribbon doesn´t hold in buttonhole by its own, it always need some support - safety pin, simple pin, sewing - or button at one side and hole on the other to make the closed loop. That´s why I asked about the length of your ribbon, Danny.

The last observation - wedding bows are always perfectly made, because they are made by skilled tailor for special occassion. Buttonhole devices are always roughly made, because they are made by soldier in field.

Miro

Imperial EksImperial EksImperial Eks

?

I remember seeing once a period photograph from the early days of the Weimar Republic. There was depicted a group of protesters in civil clothes, mostly young men in their early twenties. Interestingly enough, one of them wore an EK II mounted around his neck (in the same style like the later Knight Cross). This was certainly rather unorthodox behavior, but given the turbulent days of the Weimar Republic one can’t be surprised that the young veteran put the rules aside.
    Unfortunately, I can't recall in which textbook or documentary film I have seen this picture.

?

My humble 1914 EK2. Picked this one up from a local gun and trade show. The condition is a little salty but the price was $60 cash. My eyes are not keen enough to read the mm
    Imperial EksImperial Eks
    Imperial Eks
    ** Has anyone figured out why some images are uploading sideways no matter what you do?

?

Cross is fine, core is generic, mark is unreadable also for me. Typical ww1 cross.

"Has anyone figured out why some images are uploading sideways no matter what you do?"

Because they were photographed sideways. Image browser in your PC rotates them to correct position, but here they upload the way they were shot.

Miro

Finaly managed to lay hands on a WWI EKII (I know for the ribbon!;-));
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Eks   Imperial Eks  

Imperial Eks   Imperial Eks  

Imperial Eks  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

congrats on a fine cross, and it is with a box n´all !!!;-)

mfg
    Marc

Thanks! Find as it is in a house clearing in the south of France, I am going to leave the WWII KVK ribbon in it.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well done Chris.
    I still don't have a cased 2nd class.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.