Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?

Article about: Did some horse trading with a friend on the weekend and my wife is going to kill me when she finds out This is one of the items that I received for my Horse If I am not mistaken the Double r

?

Default Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?

Did some horse trading with a friend on the weekend and my wife is going to kill me when she finds out This is one of the items that I received for my Horse If I am not mistaken the Double rank pips signify a field grade rank of a Hauptmann (Schulterstuck) and he served in the 22 Regiment .Now this is were things start to get a little fuzzy for me. Some of the material I have been reading explains that after 1915 the color of the edging on the shoulderboards was set by the arm of service color, called the Waffenfarbe . The Waffenfarbe for Ulanen and Feldartillerie units were red .So pre 1915 is the Waffenfarbe the same as there is no evidence of color on the edging of these shoulderboards are they pre 1915 issued.
    One last quick question are the buttons and washers correct I very much doubt the cotter pins are period though

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?   Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?  

Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?  

Default Re: Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?

Mark, they are for the Officers Dunkelblau waffenrock, they are pre 1907, notice the blue chevrons known as "flecking" within the braid, this signifies a pair of "Bavarian" achselstucke (Shoulder boards).... You are correct for the rank of Hauptmann, from the Kgl. Bayer. 22. Infanterie-Regiment "Fürst Wilhelm von Hohenzollern" (Royal Bavarian Infantry Regt 22) I & III Battalion garrisoned at Zweibrücken, II Battalion at Saargmünd, founded 1.4.1897, and part of the II Bayer. Armee Korps (2nd Bavarian Army Korps) signified by the Scarlet red base colour. The buttons are the plain brass type used on the Dunkelblau rock, and are themselves removable as Officers could wear on special occasions full Gala style eppaulettes, as shown in the attached photograph...they are in all probability, original to the straps.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Imperial German Army shoulderboards ? 

?

Default Re: Imperial German Army shoulderboards ?

Thank you Steve it is a new area of collecting for me and I thought them to be an intresting piece .I was thinking they were pre 1915 a we bit off a shock to find out they were as old as what they are.The informaton will be most helpfull in regards to research.

Regards Mark K