Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German bank notes?

Article about: Hi all. I am a complete novice here, so I have no idea if this is real. It is blank on the reverse so I have doubts... If I am in the wrong area, please feel free to move this post. Regards,

Default Imperial German bank notes?

Hi all.

I am a complete novice here, so I have no idea if this is real.
    It is blank on the reverse so I have doubts...

If I am in the wrong area, please feel free to move this post.

Regards,

Brian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German bank notes?  

Default re: Imperial German bank notes?

German inflation money from the 1920s...
    Glenn

Later than Imperial - it is dated 1923. I believe these were printed on one side only and were issued in ever increasing values during the period of hyper-inflation in the 1920s.

Some more shown here:

German Hyperinflation Banknotes

Richie is right.

The banknotes of the hyperinflation period were eventually printed on one side only; this is normal.

I cannot comment on authenticity, although I would be surprised if these are heavily faked. As for value, I can't give you a figure, either, but one thing's for sure: It's well below the bill's five million denomination!

Thanks for the info. I need to check my dates.

I assume they are common items then.

Brian.

Brian

If you use Google you will find dealers selling these notes - had a quick look and they don't seem especially valuable although there could be rare variations I suppose.

Sadly, not worth 5 million in any currency today

An interesting little piece of history nevertheless.

Regards

Richie

Brian: Your 1923 Reichsbanknote might not seem to be very valuable, but it is an excellent artifact from an historical period that had a major impact on events and played a large role the rise of Adolf Hitler. Your Reichsbanknote represents the period and the events.

The 1923 period of hyperinflation had many causes, but the most evident were the financial effects of the crushing reparations payments demanded of Germany in the Treaty of Versailles, the Weimar government's inability to manage a faltering economy, the growth of an underground economy that shunned the Mark, the murder of Foreign Minister Walther Rathenau on 24 June 1922, and the French occupation of the Ruhr in January 1923. Once it started, the hyperinflation accelerated at an astounding rate, to the point that at its height, money printed in the morning was worthless by the same day afternoon. People literally had wheelbarrows filled with money. below are a few photos of the period. Dwight

This photo shows a middle class citizen paying in a store with a pile of money spread out on a scale. The number of bills was so great, and the denominations so large, that clerks resorted to simply weighing the cash rather than counting it. Either way, it didn't matter because the bills were already worthless.

I have seen this photo described as bankers carrying bags of money. I have also seen it described as students carrying bags of money. The only thing that's certain is that those are bags of money they are carrying.

One of the most iconic photos is this one showing a banker taking money to his tellers in a wheelbarrow.

Thanks so much for all this info.
    The note was given to me by someone who "knew I was interested in this stuff"

Every time I aquire a new item I see a whole new subject opening up! This is getting addictive!

Cheers,

Brian.