Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

imperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions please

Article about: hi everyone, i recently purchased this entrenching tool thinking it was ww2 german but im now thinking it is a ww1 spade, it seems to have the imperial eagle on it just above the makers mark

Default imperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions please

hi everyone, i recently purchased this entrenching tool thinking it was ww2 german but im now thinking it is a ww1 spade, it seems to have the imperial eagle on it just above the makers mark, i would be grateful for any opinions on this item so that i can pinpoint from what era it is from, thanksimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions pleaseimperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement imperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: imperial german entrenching tool?????, opinions please

Herr Pieper, not an Imperial WW1 entrenching tool set, the Model 1874, Model 1898/99, and the Model 1898/1909 were the model of spade carried by Imperial infantrymen, all similiar, but differing in some detail, however all these patterns of spades had riveted blades. So succesful was this type of spade that a nearly identical model was used after WW1, these shovels can be recognised by their lack of rivets on the blade, such as the one you have. A completly new model appeared in 1938 (the "Klappspaten"). The eagle stamp is of Wiemar period Reichsheer use.
    Hope that helps.
    Prost ! Steve.