Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help

Article about: Hi, I received this in the mail today. I believe it to be a Saxon Pickelhaube. That is all I know. This was the closest thing that I could find on the internet but my front plate (wappen) is

Default Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help

Hi,
    I received this in the mail today.
    I believe it to be a Saxon Pickelhaube.
    That is all I know.
    This was the closest thing that I could find on the internet but my front plate (wappen) is different.
    So any help/info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help   Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help  

Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help   Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help  

Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help   Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German Saxon Officer's Pickelhaube - Please Help
    P
    Many

I like the looks of this one although I don't think I have ever seen
    that kind of stars holding the spike base.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

OK, I've just spent the last half hour looking at images of front wappen and
    now I have the same concerns as Anton. I could not find a match to it either.
    gregM

myself around.

?

I don't believe this to be a military helmet, but that of either police or civilian official.

Hello,

As I mentioned on German Helmet Walhalla, your helmet is a Saxon Civil Service Helmet, and it would have been worn by a Custom's Official, Policeman or Fire Official. I'm sorry that I don't know for certain at this moment exactly which civil service branch wore this helmet. I do know that it is not a military service helmet for Saxony, but instead a civil service helmet. It's a beautiful helmet, and I really like the front plate. I will have to check one of my reference books tonight to see if it is in there.

Best Regards,

Alan

I checked Tony's (Kaisers) site and Colonel J's and could not find a match.
    gregM

myself around.

Hi Mark,

I found a very similar helmet in the German Auction House of Jan K. Kube, auction #103, from 24 April 2004. The only differences between your helmet and the one on Kube's auction are the stars are different (theirs had plain officer stars, and not the fancy ones like your helmet has), and the Kube auction helmet Saxon front plate has the motto banner at the very bottom of the front plate design, whereas your helmet does not have the motto banner.

They describe their example as: "Offiziershelm f. Steuerbeamte bis 1897", so in English it means Officer helmet for Tax Officials before 1897... (I'm guessing that "Customs Official" would be a more accurate translation from using my Bing online translator engine). So, I'm not exactly sure yet at this point of time if your helmet is truly a Customs Official helmet, being that yours does not have the motto on the bottom of the Saxon front plate, or if it could possibly be a Police or Fire Official's helmet. Being that it is a Civil Service Helmet, and Not a Military Service Helmet, there are unfortunately very few reference works on these civil service helmets. I am not aware of any in the English language. Maybe there is a reference book(s) in the German language, I'm not certain.

Best Regards,

Alan

Hey Alan,
    Thank you very much for your help with identifying this helmet.
    I am really happy that I bought it and it now is a nice part of my German WWI era (or pre-WWII) collection.

A very nice example regardless of its original use. A shame the rear visor has popped its stitching but that is repairable (with some difficulty of course)