Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Info needed on Austrian and German M16/M17 helmet liners and chinstraps as used by Poland in 1939. (with photo)

Article about: Hi. I'm attempting to recreate a Polish M16/M17 helmet as used by the 10th Motorized Cavalry Brigade (the Black Brigade). This was the only functional Polish mechanized brigade in 1939 and w

Default Info needed on Austrian and German M16/M17 helmet liners and chinstraps as used by Poland in 1939. (with photo)

Hi. I'm attempting to recreate a Polish M16/M17 helmet as used by the 10th Motorized Cavalry Brigade (the Black Brigade). This was the only functional Polish mechanized brigade in 1939 and was the basis for the Polish 1st Armoured Division in the west.

I've managed to find out that the Poles used both the German and the Austrian M16/M17 helmets (no real surprise there). However these helmets are a little bit different in chinstraps and liners. Did the Poles use the same liners and chinstraps as originally produced by the Germans and Austrians? Its also possible that the Poles made new liners and chinstraps or used the ones for made for their own helmet designs (Wz 31). I just don't know. I was informed that there were upgrades to the M16/M17 liners in the interwar period.

So... does anyone have any info or pics of the liners as used by the Poles? Here is a photo of the helmets in use by the Polish brigade in 1938.

Also I need to match the paint colour as used on Polish helmets (I have an Finnish Army Austrian M17 that will serve as my Polish helmet for my display). Does anyone have a recommendation on a modern paint that matches the colour of Polish helmets used in the 2nd Republic? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Info needed on Austrian and German M16/M17 helmet liners and chinstraps as used by Poland in 1939. (with photo)
    P
    Many

Default Re: Info needed on Austrian and German M16/M17 helmet liners and chinstraps as used by Poland in 1939. (with photo)

dastier....I have no idea...you would be better off posting in one of the Polish forums for this kind of information.
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: Info needed on Austrian and German M16/M17 helmet liners and chinstraps as used by Poland in 1939. (with photo)

Hi Steve. I've posted this question in the Polish 2nd Republic forum as well as the Steel Helmets forum here in War Relics. I've also posted it on Gunboards and on the German Helmet Wahalla site. So far no one knows. I may have to contact the Polish government or academia to get an answer.

Perhaps someone will have some info or at least photos that show the liner and chinstrap on a M16/M17 helmet in Polish use. I received this excellent colour photo from a GB member. One can hope.

dastier, thanks for that...good luck with your quest !
    Prost ! Steve.

Steve, if you or anyone else in the Imperial Germany and Austro-Hungary Forum are interested, here's an update on my progress so far (see post#3):

Polish prewar helmet liners and paint colour

dastier...always interested ! thanks for the update, makes interesting reading, it is a subject matter I did not know anything about ! I do now !
    Prost ! Steve.