Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Iron Cross???

Article about: Hello, This item is coming up for auction and I have never seen one with a photo in the center. Does anyone have any information if this would be a genuine piece as I cannot find another exa

Default Re: Iron Cross???

Quote by justbrowsin View Post
    So am I correct that in the English language it translates Warrior Association of Untergimpern?
    "Warrior Association" would be a correct literal translation, but not an ideal one. The meaning of "Krieger" ("warrior") in this context is simply that of a "participant in a war", so "veteran" is really a much better translation than "warrior".

Would other villages have their own version of veteran associations as well?
    Yes, of course. There were countless local, regional, statewide and national veterans associations throughout Germany.
    In rural areas/villages, the volunteer fire brigades and the veterans' associations were actually among the most important factors of community life.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross???
    P
    Many

HPL2008, Thank you for the terrific information you have passed on to me. I apologize, I should have said veterans instead of warrior. One last question and I will leave you alone. Would this have been worn on just military veterans activities, or would have it been worn for other occasions as well, such as village and family activities, weddings, villlage meetings, and etc.? Even if I cannot purchase this medal, I have learned something about another time and country. I have really enjoyed the research. Thanks again for your time.

Even if I cannot purchase this medal, I have learned something about another time and country. I have really enjoyed the research. Thanks again for your time.
    now thats whats its all about i would have said (bit of a guess really) that they would have worn it at other times i know in uk retired soldiers wear there medals almost everywhere and germany is definatly a very military country so its probably very likely

Would this have been worn on just military veterans activities, or would have it been worn for other occasions as well, such as village and family activities, weddings, villlage meetings, and etc.?
    Sorry; but I'm afraid I can't give a definitive answer to that.

It would have been worn on functions of the association itself or on public local events where the association participated, but whether it was customary for individual members to wear such awards on unconnected events, I really do not know.

One thing is certain, though: This being an unofficial decoration awarded by local veteran's association - as opposed to the official decorations, awards and badges bestowed or recognized by the state - it could not have been worn on a uniform.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3