Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?

Article about: Hi, I have this Iron Cross 2nd class that I was wondering if you could help identify as real or fake? The ring has the number 25 or 35. I find it somewhat difficult to determine if it's a 2

Default Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?

Hi,

I have this Iron Cross 2nd class that I was wondering if you could help identify as real or fake?

The ring has the number 25 or 35. I find it somewhat difficult to determine if it's a 2 or a 3...

Thank you!

Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?
    P
    Many

It's real but not an original WW1 award, because it has a numbered maker mark it was made as a official replacement for a lost WW1 award during the TR era. 25 being made by Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Graveur, Gold und Silberschmeide-Innungen, Hanau!..

I think Gunny is probably right. There is one other possibility. There was a maker marking crosses
    with a two digit number proceeded by the letters LV. ( LV26) I have never seen a LV25. But I have
    seen LV8, 10, 17, 26, & 75. No one knows who made these crosses.

Having never seen a LV25 before, I defer to Gunny's assessment.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Just wondering, are all WWI crosses made during the TR era the same size as TR crosses or were they made to the size of the original, slightly smaller 14-18 crosses?

Tony

It is not easy to see, but it may be an LV before the numbers. What do you think?

I'm sorry my noobish question but what do the TR era mean?

Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?

?

Quote by Hoggorm View Post
    It is not easy to see, but it may be an LV before the numbers. What do you think?

I'm sorry my noobish question but what do the TR era mean?
    Mate, no worries, I was the same but didn't ask the question and it took me ages to work it out, probably because I don't collect Third Reich era militaria

TR era means third reich era!...

Thank you!

Do you agree there might be LV before the numbers? Will that mean that it was made during WW1 after all, or is it still a replacement?

?

Hello, I would agree the letters do resemble "LV". Although I am not an expert, pure "25" standing for the TR Arbeitsgemeinschaft, Hanau would raise more questions in this case. First, the Arbeitsgemeinschaft stamped their "25" as a unit, both numbers together, whereas on your cross the numbers seem to be stamped one at a time. See 25 Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Gravur, Hanau - EK2 DNA for comparison.
    Besides that, this particular core type on your cross was used by other imperial era makers as well, Sy&Wagner being the most common example among of them.
    That leads me to believe your cross is probably a WWI or perhaps early 1920s "personal-purchase" (replacement) piece.

Thank you very much Pavel for that nice description!

Is it likely that 25 was the same producer in WWII as it was in WWI?

The 1939 Iron Cross with swastika was not made prior to outbreak of WWII was it? So if one was awarded the Iron Cross in WWI it would still not be replaced with a 1939 cross with swastika until 1939/1940?

Hitler was awarded the Iron Cross in WWI. Even his would not have the swastika until 1939? Am I correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast