Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?

Article about: Hi, I have this Iron Cross 2nd class that I was wondering if you could help identify as real or fake? The ring has the number 25 or 35. I find it somewhat difficult to determine if it's a 2

Quote by Hoggorm View Post
    Thank you very much Pavel for that nice description!

Is it likely that 25 was the same producer in WWII as it was in WWI?

The 1939 Iron Cross with swastika was not made prior to outbreak of WWII was it? So if one was awarded the Iron Cross in WWI it would still not be replaced with a 1939 cross with swastika until 1939/1940?

Hitler was awarded the Iron Cross in WWI. Even his would not have the swastika until 1939? Am I correct?
    Likely not.
    If the EK II was earned in WW I, it would not be replaced with a WW II EK II, it would have to be earned again during WW II. Hence the purpose of Spange.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron Cross 2nd Class - Real or fake - Who is the maker?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Hoggorm View Post
    Is it likely that 25 was the same producer in WWII as it was in WWI?
    No, those are two different systems. The number codes (referred as PKZ and LDO) were not introduced until 1941, I believe. The Imperial Era makers originally used letter abbreviations resembling the names of their actual companies, e.g. Godet marked their crosses with "G", Wagner und Sohn used "WS" or sometimes "WuS", and so on. Some makers even remain still unknown – we don’t know, for example, who was "KAG". Numbers on WW I crosses are not common. The only exception is "LV" who used several different numbers after the letters.

Also, many of the 1914 EK did not remain in the business as Iron Cross makers after 1939, so the continuity is quite weak.

Thank you again for a very nice and interesting description! It is highly appreciated!

Pavel----Well said
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi All,

cross marked LV 25 is an awarded piece from the World War 1. LV = Lieferungsverband für Eiserne Kreuze in Berlin (Association of the EK Suppliers). It was an associacion of small producers, and the number after LV is probably code of the particular manufacturer.

greetings
    Tomasz

Thank you Tomasz for that nice update!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2