Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iron cross, real or fake

Article about: Dear members, just found this iron cross at a local charity shop amongst costume jewellery, priced at 50p. I think it's real but I'm no expert. What do you all think, mike

Default Iron cross, real or fake

Dear members, just found this iron cross at a local charity shop amongst costume jewellery, priced at 50p. I think it's real but I'm no expert. What do you all think, mike

Iron cross, real or fake
    Iron cross, real or fake
    Iron cross, real or fake
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-12-2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Edited to orient photos properly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Iron cross, real or fake
    P
    Many

Even if it's a fake, 50p wasn't to bad as my nephew has an interest in all things WW2, mike

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    I have edited your post to orient the photos correctly and moved your thread to the correct area.
    It looks like a good one to me but best wait for those with more knowledge in these.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you Ralph I'm very new to collecting and also this forum, I value your help, Mike

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum!

It looks like a nice original. Xmas has come early for you!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

And WW1

Ty Ade, I was not sure as it looked good condition, I have placed a magnet on the centre and it sticks,but not on the outer part of the cross, I also thought the outer cross was silver, but looking at the pin it looks like silver plate has worn and shows brass underneath. That was one of the reasons I suspected it being a copy. The jewellery had just been put out in the shop and I haven't been in it for ages, they were all in a tin marked 50p per item. If it is real I will go back and give a donation. Thanks again Mike, it's my first iron cross!

Welcome to the forum.

I think you cross is a good one. I wish I could be 100% sure but I'm not.
    Let's say maybe 75%.

The reason is this-- The core details look to be that of a Meybauer made cross however
    the frame does not match what a ww1 Meybauer should look like. HOWEVER it does
    look very much like ww2 style Meybauer hardware. My guess is that this cross might be
    one made by Meybauer during ww2 as a replacement cross. I am not very good when it
    comes to TR era crosses.

I will post a link in the TR section in hopes that one of those guys can be of more help.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I think you got a winner.

I'm going to say I am leaning really hard to the good side.-- 95%

Here is a picture of a marked ww2 Meybauer that I lifted off another site.
    From what I can see, it looks like a pretty good match. The hinge, pin and catch
    all look good as does the beading style of the corners on the frt of the frame.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Iron cross, real or fake   Iron cross, real or fake  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast