Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jewelry store debacle...

Article about: Take it back to him with another cross and show him what the size wire is. Tell him to snip the crap off of it and replace it with the correct size. Any silversmith can order the correct dia

Default Jewelry store debacle...

A while ago I found a WWI EK2 in the trash at the recycling facility that my parents own.

Unfortunately, the suspension rings had snapped off. I thought it would be nice to solder a replacement set of rings onto the award to bring it back to it's former glory...

I am not setup to solder things, so I brought the EK2 to a Jeweler with photos of other EKs and express instructions on what I wanted... I stressed that I did not want them to touch the patina... You can see where this is going...

The jeweler told me he could make it look exactly like I wanted...

He totally disregarded my instructions... The small suspension ring that he soldered on looks wonky AND he polished it... When he called me to say the project was finished, he said: "It looks exactly like you wanted!"

I am an idiot. Lesson learned...

Jewelry store debacle...Jewelry store debacle...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jewelry store debacle...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Jewelry store debacle...

Hello Joe,
    Unfortunately, when soldering like this, the item will take on a very black color, possibly splotchy, and would look out of place anyways. The patina that you are looking for will return with time. Do not be too disappointed.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

May not be perfect but a nice save by you none the less.

If You are only worried about the patina, it is very simple to make any silver item look like 50 and more years old. Just use a boiled egg for example. The other thing is that both rings are not in the right size - both are too thin.

- - Updated - -

If You are only worried about the patina, it is very simple to make any silver item look like 50 and more years old. Just use a boiled egg for example. The other thing is that both rings are not in the right size - both are too thin.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    As a person that works occasionally with silver sheet and wire as well as many other types of pins etc. sometimes it is very difficult to get the same diameter as older pieces. They are just not manufactured to the same dimensions as older or european items. Many times if I require a pin for something, I have to turn it to the correct diameter on my lathe.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi gentlemen,

I know it really isn't a major disaster, I'm mostly upset about being promised a perfect repair without impacting the patina at all and he stated that he had rings that would be the perfect size.

Could anyone recommend a method for bringing back some of the patina?

Hi Joe, Sorry your disappointed however the patina will return, In my opinion the cross looks pretty good.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Hi gentlemen,

I know it really isn't a major disaster, I'm mostly upset about being promised a perfect repair without impacting the patina at all and he stated that he had rings that would be the perfect size.

Could anyone recommend a method for bringing back some of the patina?
    Joe, please read my previous post regarding the size of the rings.
    You can use a product called "Liver of Sulphur" but, be aware, you will have to expose the whole cross to the fumes, not just the ring. As I said earlier, the patina that you are looking for will return. Most will not notice the patina when it is displayed.
    Ralph.

?

Joe ,I had more or less the same problem a while back, with a KVK with swords, but I had the suspension ring mount that had snapped off, a jeweller friend of mine did the resolder which left the mount shiney, when I told him this ,he used a touch of tormelene to age the mount and it was damn near perfect

Jewelry store debacle...Thanks for the reassuring words, gentlemen.

Here is what it looks like with a ribbon:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast