Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?

Article about: Hello, Julekpl again. I have found a ww1 k98 bayonet at a yard sale, but I don't know much about it. I got it know, it is 1918, maker is Rich A. Herder Solingen. Yes, it has a few layers on

Default k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?

Hello, Julekpl again. I have found a ww1 k98 bayonet at a yard sale, but I don't know much about it. I got it know, it is 1918, maker is Rich A. Herder Solingen. Yes, it has a few layers on grease on it, but I had not hand in that. The blade under the grease seems to be in good condition, aside from the part that someone tried to sharpen. There is however something that caught my eye...In the pin that attached to the mauser rifle, there is a number 39 in it, and it looks to be factory made....Any thoughts on the meaning of this? I have George T Wheeler's book on these, and nothing in the pin shows up...Any thoughts? And also, would any of you recommend removing the grease?

Thanks! k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin? k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin? k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin? k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin? k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?
    P
    Many

Default Re: k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?

I suspect that the pin's number is simply a factory parts marking and has no major significance. It's an excellent bayonet nonetheless!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I believe what you have is known as a WWI German SG-14 bayonet. They are hard to find in any condition. I`m not too sure about the scabbard being issued with the blade. I have only ever seen two SG-14 s.
    I have attached a picture of one of them.
    k98 1918 bayonet, yardsale find, with the # "39" in the pin?

grimlin13

You might try WD-40 to remove the grease - but do recoat the blade
    with another type of protectant, as WD-40 eventually evaporates
    completely.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I believe what you have is known as a WWI German SG-14 bayonet.
    No, it is not... It's a S84/98 bayonet or in German Seitebgewehr model 1884/1898. This bayonet would fit all mauser rifles produced from 1898 on. The S14 which you refer to is much longer and produced from 1914 on...

Adler

Thank you for all your replies, I will try to remove this grease later today and I'll see what the condition is...