Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kindness in Captivity

Article about: My German Grandfather served in a Jager Battalion and was unfortunate enough to be hit twice thru the upper chest by machine gun fire. Paul fell and became entangled in the forward wire, dur

Default Kindness in Captivity

My German Grandfather served in a Jager Battalion and was unfortunate enough to be hit twice thru the upper chest by machine gun fire. Paul fell and became entangled in the forward wire, during the French counter-attack, showing movement he was bayonetted. Much to their credit, the French retrieved some of the German living from their wire, my Grandfather being one. Whilst recuperating in a POW camp he was visited by the French Officer who had ordered aid be given to those living on their wire. My Grandfather thanked him and as a gesture , made and gave to him ,a drawing of the officer. Several weeks later the French Officer returned to the camp and gave him a sketch book. I include some of my Grandfather's drawings whilst in captivity and would like to share these and this humane experience.

Default Re: Kindness in Captivity

I would like to see is drawings.
    This should make for a very interesting thread.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I'm excited about seeing these. And did your grandfather survive the war?

Sorry , the images didn't attach, I will try again to upload

What a great story to know from your grandfathers past. I would also love to see the pictures.

Jason

It will be really interesting to see the drawings. Your grandfather went through alot.

Hi Helmetone, yes he did, my German Grandfather passed away in 1972, What surprises me is that my Grandfather and this French officer remained in contact into the 1950's, until the French Officer passed away. Apparently my Father then supported his widow till her passing.

I'm excited to see these pictures!

The drawings are mainly of women, farm-yard and an infant, nothing war-related. The purpose of my post was not so much the sketchings but the kindness shown.

?

An amazing story your grand father was a very honorable man to help support the widow of the officer after his passing in my eyes that is a true show of respect ,honor,and good will to human kind.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast