Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The König-Ludwig-Kreuz of 1916

Article about: The König-Ludwig-Kreuz [King Ludwig Cross] was instituted by King Ludwig III. of Bavaria on 7th January 1916. Created to fulfil the need for a decoration that could be awarded to persons who

Default The König-Ludwig-Kreuz of 1916

The König-Ludwig-Kreuz [King Ludwig Cross] was instituted by King Ludwig III. of Bavaria on 7th January 1916.

Created to fulfil the need for a decoration that could be awarded to persons who had rendered domestic services for the war effort and who were not eligible for any other military or civilian decoration, it was awarded for meritorious wartime volunteer work rendered in the homeland in the interest of the Bavarian Army or state. As such, the cross was the Bavarian equivalent of the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst [Merit Cross for Work in Support of the War Effort] which would be instituted by Emperor and King Wilhelm II later that year on 5th December 1916.

The König-Ludwig-Kreuz was awarded irrespective of rank, status and gender and came in one class only, although some 250 pieces were manufactured in a special silver version (not class) for members of the royal cabinet and other high-ranking personalities. Apart from those, an estimated number of some 90,000 crosses were awarded.

Initially manufactured of bronze, then iron and finally zinc, the decoration was a rather modest, straightforward cross in blackened metal. The obverse of the cross bore the profile of King Ludwig III; the reverse showed the decoration's date of institution (7.I.1916) over the lozenge pattern of the Bavarian flag. The ribbon had broad blue vertical stripes on the outer edges and between them a pattern of narrow horizontal stripes alternating in the Bavarian colors of white and blue. (As a Bavarian, allow me to remark that this sequence is important: It's always "white and blue", never "blue and white". Confusing those will automatically reveal one to be a Prussian!)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-07-2014 at 09:39 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The König-Ludwig-Kreuz of 1916
    P
    Many

And now for some examples of this decoration. The pieces that also include the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges have been previously shown on my ongoing thread for that decoration ( https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...enkreuz-72201/ )

Here is an example of the cross mounted as a one-place medal bar.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

An unmounted example clearly showing its age. The ribbon illustrates the dangers of direct sunlight exposure to medal ribbons rather well. The exposed obverse side of the ribbon has faded and yellowed more or less to a cream color with only a slight shade of blue remaining, whereas the color is preserved on the reverse side.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

Close-up of the unfolded ribbon showing the color difference between the exposed and the unexposed sides:

Last edited by HPL2008; 05-07-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Nice looking cross.

A nicely-preserved three-place medal bar for a Bavarian reservist. The decorations are, from left to right, the König-Ludwig-Kreuz, the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer and the Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung II. Klasse. The combination of these two crosses tells us that the bar's wearer must have rendered services both on the frontline and in the homeland.

Above the medal bar is the matching lapel bow which unfortunately has lost its button.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

A very nice looking group!

Two more miniature examples for wear with civilian clothes.

First, a single ribbon bow for wear in the buttonhole of a suit's lapel.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

Here is a nice ribbon bow with a miniature decoration suspended underneath.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

I'm off to an arms fair in June, and I will be looking to add to my growing collection of WW1 medals. I currently only have three German, but I have all the top Belgian awards.

The last piece for now is a nice three-place miniature bow with metal pendants.

From left to right, the decorations are the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst (see post no. 1), the König-Ludwig-Kreuz and the Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer.

Obverse view:

Reverse view:

Detail view. The ribbons show their age, especially the one for the König-Ludwig-Kreuz. It is frayed and the blue portions on the exposed part have faded to nearly-white:

Scale reference shot:

Thank you for this wealth of information and the excellent photos...An underappreciated award that can still be found at a reasonable/affordable price out there...
    cheers, Glenn

- - ------- - -

This is one case where the ribbon is actually more attractive than the medal! Interesting crosses!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast