Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

The Kriegsehrenkreuz mit Schwertern (Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer)

Article about: Here is my latest acquisition: A Kriegsehrenkreuz mit Schwertern [War Honor Cross With Swords] as awarded by the Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer e.V. [Honor League of German Partici

Default The Kriegsehrenkreuz mit Schwertern (Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer)

Here is my latest acquisition: A Kriegsehrenkreuz mit Schwertern [War Honor Cross With Swords] as awarded by the Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer e.V. [Honor League of German Participants in the World War, registered association].

A bit of historical background on the piece: In 1925, the Munich-based Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer e.V. and its new decoration were established as a reaction to the Kaiser-in-exile distancing himself from the Deutsche Ehrenlegion and the Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkrieges. [For more info on that decoration, see my other thread: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...rieges-523559/ ]. The two organizations and decorations very much competed with one another.

In order to be awarded this cross, the veteran had to join the Ehrenbund and provide documented proof of his service in the Great War. Those who had fought at the frontlines were awarded the cross with swords, while those who had served in rear areas or the homeland or with auxiliary services received the cross without swords. (The version without swords is much rarer.) As usual, the recipient had to pay for the decoration from his own pocket.

In 1934, the cross was banned from wear along with the many other unofficial Weimar-era decorations (although this law was not always strictly obeyed).

Obverse and reverse view. The ribbon is folded in the traditional "Bavarian" style:

Obverse and reverse detail:

The cross together with the Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkrieges and the Kriegsdenkmünze 1914/18 des Kyffhäuserbundes, all in the combatants' ("swords") versions. The colors of the Weimar republic (black, red and gold) were deeply unpopular with conservative patriotic veterans, so unsurprisingly, the ribbons of these (and other) unofficial decorations used the traditional Imperial colors of black, white and red:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Kriegsehrenkreuz mit Schwertern (Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer)
    P
    Many

A Beauty...I had one without the Ribbon...Replacement Ribbons for these are impossible to find...
    cheers, Glenn

a very nice example and a v/nice trio,

Hi guys.
    A nice award that you don't see very often.
    Thanks for sharing Andreas.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Just added to my collection, here is an award document for this decoration.

The document is signed by the Großmeister [Grand Master] of the Ehrenbund Deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer e.V., the former Prussian Generalmajor Grunert:

Hallo Freund. Nice addition to your collection. You haven't posted anything for sometime and i was wondering where have you been :-)
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Nice addition to your collection. You haven't posted anything for sometime and i was wondering where have you been :-)
    Thanks, but I've never been away, really. I practically live here! (Have a look at the "latest posts"/"latest started threads" listings in my profile.)

The shield on the chest of the eagle, is that done in enamel?

Quote by carpediem View Post
    The shield on the chest of the eagle, is that done in enamel?
    Yes; it is.

A very fine bit of enameling on such a small detail! A nice pair the medal and document and the perfect compliment to your other two medals shown above!