Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Landwehrmann Thomas Mied

Article about: One of the first major battles of the Great War was the 'Battle of the Frontiers' of August 1914. Close to the German-Swiss border is the city of Mulhouse, which at the time, came under Germ

Default Landwehrmann Thomas Mied

One of the first major battles of the Great War was the 'Battle of the Frontiers' of August 1914. Close to the German-Swiss border is the city of Mulhouse - which at the time, came under German rule after the French Province of Alsace was ceded to Germany at the end of the Franco-Prussian war. Determined to recapture their land, the French advanced upon Mulhouse on August 8th 1914 and reclaimed it after the German occupants fled. Just two days later the Germans recaptured the city as the French armies fell back. The French launched a counter-offensive, and by August 16th they had reached the western side of Mulhouse. One of the German units involved in the defence of Mulhouse was 'Landwehr Infantry Regiment Nr 40.'

Landwehrmann Thomas Mied

The other day a package arrived for me (from Germany) which contained a framed certificate (Kriegs-Chronic), charting the short military history of Landwehrmann Thomas Mied of Lanwehr Infantry Regiment Nr 40.

Landwehrmann Thomas MiedLandwehrmann Thomas MiedLandwehrmann Thomas Mied

On August 19th 1914 the French re-entered the city and the streets became the scene of much bitter hand-to-hand fighting as opposing sides fought for control of Mulhouse.

Landwehrmann Thomas Mied

The Germans suffered around 3,000 casualties during the course of the battle for the city, and their losses for the whole of August-September were estimated at just over 54,000 dead and 81,000 reported as missing. One of those who died 'the hero's death for his Fatherland' was Thomas Mied. Prior to the war, Thomas had served with Grenadier Regiment 110 at Heidelberg from 1902 to 1904. At the outbreak of war in August 1914 he joined Landwehr Regiment 40 and was sent to Mulhouse where he took part in the fighting. On August 19th he was badly wounded while defending the small town of Dornach, and on August 23rd he died of his injuries. By the end of the war there were two million more German soldiers who 'died the hero's death for their Fatherland.'

Steve, That's a very interesting piece of history.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Excellent love historical items like this. Thanks for showing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting post mate!...

I can only echo what the two gentlemen above have said

Thanks for the comments gents. I'm in the process of tidying up another medal and certificate group to a French soldier who was KIA at the battle of the Marne on September 5th 1914, I'll post them when finished. I'm not exactly flavour of the month with my wife at the moment, I'm rapidly reaching the point where I just cannot cram any more of these large picture frames into my 'office.'

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Thanks for the comments gents. I'm in the process of tidying up another medal and certificate group to a French soldier who was KIA at the battle of the Marne on September 5th 1914, I'll post them when finished. I'm not exactly flavour of the month with my wife at the moment, I'm rapidly reaching the point where I just cannot cram any more of these large picture frames into my 'office.'
    Bad lad!...

Gunny... I've got the Iron Cross and certificate to frame yet. I've done the German trench map and that is now waiting to go on the wall. And I also have a Croixe de Guerre with ID bracelet to be framed. This is a 1914-1915 dated example awarded to Pte Alexandre Cailhol early in 1915. Even I am reaching the point where I have to admit there is little room for any more!

Cheers,
    Steve.