MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66

Article about: I haven't posted in this section for a while. Here is one I picked up 10 or 12 years ago at a local junk shop. I was on my way back to the office and stopped in - just in case... The owner h

Default M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66

I haven't posted in this section for a while. Here is one I picked up 10 or 12 years ago at a local junk shop. I was on my way back to the office and stopped in - just in case... The owner had just taken this one in, along with a doughboy helmet and a beat up French helmet from the same estate. Initially the owner had outragious prices on the 3 pieces, but after some haggling he came down to the "high reasonable" range, but only if I paid cash. I wanted all 3 but only had enough on me for the M16 so I took it. I told the owner I would be back for the other 2, and he agreed to hold them for me. When I went back a few days later they were gone. I have always regretted not going back that day but I was on the clock and had to get back to work. This one is special to me, sent by Lt. Bigelow to, I believe, his dad. The address label is a little hard to read, but as far as I can tell, Lt. Bigelow was affiliated with the infant Air Service of the American Expeditionary Force, as part of the 108th Aero Squadron. The 108th landed in France in January 1918, and after being quarantined for about a month as a result of a measles outbreak, served in central France as part of the Aero Repair Department through to the Armistice, and finally repatriated in May 1919. The Bigelows hailed from New Britain Connecticut, my wife's home town, and lived at 76 Pleasant Street, New Britain, Connecticut. A few years ago I drove by the house, a really nice 3 family residence in a mixed residential/commercial neighborhood. The next time I am in New Britain I will take a picture of the house and add it to the thread. Some day, when I have the time, I also intend to go to the City Hall and see if I can look up the Lieutenant's discharge papers to see if I can learn anything else about the vet. If/when I do, I will update this thread with that information as well. Anyway, this one is a Q66, complete with the original M16 leather banded liner, chin strap (albeit broken), and an interesting draw string. The camo pattern is rather plain, and there is a lot of paint loss, but I really like the mail home label, and got a real kick when I was able to drive by the Lieutenant's home. I posted a lot of pictures of the label for those who are interested in trying to decipher it. Hope you like it. Jim G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66   M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66  

M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66   M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Camo with Mail Home Label- Q66
    P
    Many

?

Very cool helmet

I like it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I like it a lot!....

?

Have always been fond of mail home helmets, this one is awesome Jim!
    Regards,
    John