Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 helmet on eBay

Article about: Take a look at this currently being offered on eBay. I've never seen bullet holes like that before! Click on and enlarge. If I didn't know better, I would think that someone had gone through

Default M16 helmet on eBay

Take a look at this currently being offered on eBay. I've never seen bullet holes like that before!

Click on and enlarge. If I didn't know better, I would think that someone had gone through with a drill and then hit it with the rounded head of a hammer!

M16 helmet on eBayM16 helmet on eBay

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 helmet on eBay
    P
    Many

Sure does look odd...

Does look odd and the holes look like drill holes ,one to give a miss

?

Maybe some Einstein has placed something on top of it sometime.

There is clearly a lot of brilliant ways to ruin a piece of our history.

Yep, like many of us here I've seen bullet hole or two and these are very odd!

Without seeing the lid in hand it is hard to condemn for certain but they look far too regular to have been made by a high velocity round passing through a material that would flex under the impact. Also, check out the almost perfect triangle formed by the positions of the three holes and the fact that they are all on the edge of the crown (as if it was on the anvil of a pillar drill!!). Surely the weapon that fired the rounds would have to have been at right angle to the crown to achieve this? Of course, rounds going in at this angle would not create corresponding exit holes LOL!!

Is this a pice of history vandalised? It looks in a pretty good state of presevation for an item that would surely have lain a while in the mud of the field and let's remind ourselves of the number of repo items made for re-enactors out there!

I just hope that some newbie collector with more money than knowledge doesn't fall for this.

Regards

Mark

Sorry to hijack this but Watchdog what do think of this one, seems from the inside.Right on the crown
    M16 helmet on eBay
    M16 helmet on eBay

The shape of the hole looks right for a round still travelling pretty fast and straight rather than one tumbling at the extent of its range. I can't really see from the pics how much distortion there is but the material around the edge of the hole seems to raise to an appropriate degree. As you say it was clearly made from the inside. Who knows how that may have occurred or when. It could have been in the field or during later target practice but I think it most unlikely anyone was wearing the helmet at the time! It is hard to say for sure from a picture like this but if you look closely at he inner edge of the hole ideally under a glass etc you should get an idea if it was made by the material being parted by a round forcing through or by the circular cutting of a rotating tool. To this end compare it to a hole you know was drilled and does not have an edge painted after the drilling. Of course, someone skilled in the use of the right size punch could create something looking like a bullet hole but the striations will be different under magnification and the hole would tend to be more regular. On balance yours looks ok to me even if it might have been done on a range.

Seems like a good hole to me!

Cheers guys, an inside view. looks small caliber and being an Heer pot not sure he would have had a sidearm,
    M16 helmet on eBay
    Steve

Straight through the top of the helmet could indicate the lid was a grave marker and the hole is from a nail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast