Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M16 helmet relic

Article about: Thanks for the extra photos. It does look as though it sat somewhere with moisture, but it doesn't look dug. as far as the paint, again not having it "in hand", it's hard to tell.

Default M16 helmet relic

I bought this helmet not to long ago, the seller said it was a relic. There is a lot of paint still on. Is it the original paint or has it been repainted?
    It's like green paint and above the green paint white camo.

Thans in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 helmet relic   M16 helmet relic  

M16 helmet relic   M16 helmet relic  

M16 helmet relic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 helmet relic
    P
    Many

Default Re: M16 helmet relic

What are the things I have to look for?

Anyone, please?

For what? Is it a relic? It looks to be with all the hard pitting, although it does look more like a battle field pick-up rather than something dug. The paint? Not having it "in hand" it's hard to tell when it was done, maybe some better and closer photos. Is the size and Manufacturer stamp visable?

I cannot really see any original paint showing on the photos. But is it a good solid shell.

Cheers, Ade.

Good solid shell, with a bit of pitting on the top. The seller said he found it in this condition in Ypres (I just assumed it was dug up, could be a barn find). Stamps are barely visible. Tomorrow I'll get better photos.
    45 euros was still a good deal, even if the camo isn't real. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ingrid, no inconvenience, a nice Model 1916 Stahlhelm, as others have said, probably not ground dug, a bargain at 45 Euros ! as for paint, it would of been a grey/green colour (WW1 Field grey) from the factory, however it is known that helmets would of recieved paint jobs during their lifetime, usually to mimick their surroundings, for example, white wash during the winter, and from August 1918 a three colour camoflage scheme, rendered by the wearer, so no two helmets were the same.....examine your helmet, a maker mark and size should be visible on the inside skirt near to the visor dip, for example "ET 64" with its stepped vent lugs it looks tobe a 62/64,also a heat lot number should be visible on the inside of the crown of the helmet, example.. "B 1234". I notice that one of the M91 style chinstrap mounts is missing.
    Hope that helps,
    Prost ! Steve.

Here are some more and better photos. The only stamp I can see is: G 62
    (seen on photos number 12 and 13)

Thanks Steve for the info!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 helmet relic   M16 helmet relic  

M16 helmet relic  

Ingrid...nicely marked, not really what I would call a relic, a fairly sound shell. The marking you have found "G62" indicates the helmet was made by "Gebrueder Gnuechtel A.G." of Lauter i./Sachsen, they only made size 62 helmets. If you would like to see where the Gnuechtel Brothers factory was located in Germany, click here... Lauter, Saxony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Steve!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast