Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M16 helmet....what are the spotches?

Article about: I purchased this M16 helmet from Ebay. When I received it, there were these splotches on the exterior where it looks as though someone tried to treat it with something to remove the rust and

?

Default M16 helmet....what are the spotches?

I purchased this M16 helmet from Ebay. When I received it, there were these splotches on the exterior where it looks as though someone tried to treat it with something to remove the rust and then quit. The resulting spotches are smooth and reveals an interesting color pattern. Any ideas on what happened to it? Any way to get rid of the splotches? The rest of the helmet is a rough rust color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 helmet....what are the spotches?   M16 helmet....what are the spotches?  

M16 helmet....what are the spotches?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 helmet....what are the spotches?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M16 helmet....what are the spotches?

Looks like some of the original paint to me. it appears to have originally been in a camo pattern.

?

hi Pablo,,it looks like you have a lot of original paint under the outer finish. it appears a previous owner tried to remove the rusty coating but gave up. it may be worth getting some acetone and trying to remove the rest of it. you could have a nice helmet underneath. any liner? condition? cheers Paul

?

Quote by AntonEbans View Post
    Looks like some of the original paint to me. it appears to have originally been in a camo pattern.
    That would be cool. The rest of the helmet is rusty looking. Could it be old oxidized paint? I tried a little acetone, but no pigment was removed.

It might also be some sort of epoxy resin filler thats been used to repair holes or pitted sections of the helmet? I've seen it done before as part of helmet restoration so this might be another case of the same thing. This would explain why the texture and colour is different.

Nice helmet though

Thanks

Danny

Quote by Pablo View Post
    That would be cool. The rest of the helmet is rusty looking. Could it be old oxidized paint? I tried a little acetone, but no pigment was removed.
    on old and heavy paint layers you need to use a bit more acetone but alwas i real small areas and let the cotten pad or what ever you use a bit on the spot you try to clean that the aceton or paint remover can get in the color, this can be a lot of work

?

hi , if the acetone ain't working then it may be a fine coating of rust bleeding through. some have had great results with rust removers and oxalic acid ,the acid is dangerous to work with , i myself have used it and had great results . its worth your while posting it in the restoration and refurbishment forum .some of the guys over there work miracles......cheers Paul

?

Quote by ppsh33 View Post
    hi Pablo,,it looks like you have a lot of original paint under the outer finish. it appears a previous owner tried to remove the rusty coating but gave up. it may be worth getting some acetone and trying to remove the rest of it. you could have a nice helmet underneath. any liner? condition? cheers Paul
    Thanks Paul. Here's the interior with liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 helmet....what are the spotches?  

?

hi Pablo,,great helmet..good luck with the restoration.hard to find many at this stage with liners..post a pic when you are finished ,would enjoy seeing the end result..cheers Paul

?

Do Not use acetone on the helmet!!!! Never use acetone on helmet paint unless you want it to disolve.
    Apparently somebody tried something that was taking the paint down to the metal and realised that he screwed up. Acetone will only compound the problem.
    Oxcalic acid at 10% Oxcalic acid and 90% water is what you want. It will remove any iron oxide and bring back the old paint.
    If you are not trained to restore metalic items then seek the advice of those that are or you wind up with a screwed up helmet as the one in this thread.
    SteveR