Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 Liner Pads Real or Reproduction

Article about: Would people please give their opinions on their originality or reproduction as I have an M16 and it's similar but mine are time worn and all but destroyed with patina. I've had only one opi

?

Default M16 Liner Pads Real or Reproduction

Would people please give their opinions on their originality or reproduction as I have an M16 and it's similar but mine are time worn and all but destroyed with patina.

I've had only one opinion which was that they were original but they're not cheap so I'd like some more knowledgeable opinions.

(unfortunately only one image is of decent size)

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Liner Pads Real or Reproduction
    P
    Many

Original in my opinion.

One of my M16's for comparison.

?

Aw fantastic, thanks for that.

?

The are not from a M16, maybe a M17 or M18, 16s were stitched to the band. There were a couple of other countries that use a similar type liner. Years ago I redid a couple of M'17s liners using the liner from I think either Swedish or Danish helmets. The difference was in the pad inside the liner.

?

Quote by aicusv View Post
    The are not from a M16, maybe a M17 or M18, 16s were stitched to the band. There were a couple of other countries that use a similar type liner. Years ago I redid a couple of M'17s liners using the liner from I think either Swedish or Danish helmets. The difference was in the pad inside the liner.
    I've had people tell me they're fake but no real plausible reason as to why.
    They are weathered and not unlike to what I have in an M16 or my M17.
    The only thing I can't work out is what looks like stitching.

?

This photo does appear to show where it had been stitched to the band. Looking at this photo it would appear to be correct .

?

Quote by aicusv View Post
    This photo does appear to show where it had been stitched to the band. Looking at this photo it would appear to be correct .
    It's this highlighted part which has now convinced me they're real, that takes some time to accumulate that sort of patina

To me the patina on the leather is original and time accumulated and certainly not liked repro or faked ones where the leather just doesn’t show the ageing of an item that is over 100 years old.

?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    To me the patina on the leather is original and time accumulated and certainly not liked repro or faked ones where the leather just doesn’t show the ageing of an item that is over 100 years old.
    Yes very much agreed so I guess I answered my own question. It was only a few days ago when I was removing pads from a liner that I noticed an almost identical mark as I have circled in the above image on the pillows and there was no doubt about that liner.

So was it common or not that they stitched the pads into the leather band of the M16's?