Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M16/M17 German Helmet

Article about: I think you're right, because I don't really see anything!!!!

Default M16/M17 German Helmet

Hi ,
    I just joined the site and I would like your opinion on this helmet,
    This is a M16 with a steel banded M17 liner, three dark brown Leather pads, Missing the chin strap. traces of paint still visible. The only visible marking is SI 66
    Thanks in advance for your comments
    RL

IMG]http://[/IMG]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16/M17 German Helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: M16/M17 German Helmet

Red Line, welcome to the forum ! and especially to the Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian sub section, a nice M17 Stahlhelm, "Si" makers mark indicates "Eisenhuette Silesia" of Paruschowitz in Oberschlesien, they made only sizes 62 and 66. Your liner could be a period replacement, I have not seen either Imperial German M16 or M17 liner tongues with grommets in them, that was more an Austro-Hungarian trait, as in there version of the M17, but yours is German, as indicated by the M91 Pickelhaube type chinstrap mounts.....maybe your helmet was one of the many thousands of German made helmets supplied to the KuK (Austro-Hungarian Army) by the Germans prior to them making their own version...can you confirm its colour, as my old eyes can not tell ! German a shade of Field grey/apple green, Austrian, earth brown.
    Prost ! Steve.

A nice lid ! I don't know why I haven't yet
    picked up a WWI helmet..............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    A nice lid ! I don't know why I haven't yet
    picked up a WWI helmet..............!
    Money ?
    That is the reason I do not have a lot of things I would like to have.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Money ?
    That is the reason I do not have a lot of things I would like to have.
    Could be the main reason Steve, but there are other factors such as;
    Iron crosses, Bayonets, Medals, Pilot wings, Badges, Inert grenades
    and Ordnance, etc.............
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks you for your answers, the rest of the color on the helmet is grey, for info, I have paid 135 euros for this helmet, a folly?

Quote by Red Line View Post
    Thanks you for your answers, the rest of the color on the helmet is grey, for info, I have paid 135 euros for this helmet, a folly?
    Red Line, no folly, a bargain ! these helmets are riseing in price, I would value at 250 + Euros !
    Prost ! Steve.

oradour, you say it's may be a German made helmets supplied to the KuK.
    my question is, why a German helmet with a liner tongues with grommets
    (Austro-Hungarian trait) now why the German Army has not provided a helmet made ​​100% in Germany?

Red Line, by November 1916 the Germans had supplied approx 500.000 standard (German made) M16 helmets to the Austro-Hungarians, (with leather "Pickelhaube" type chinstraps), the Austro-Hungarians usually painted them a brown colour, so initially yes these "German" made helmets were 100% to German specifications, however at some time in its life your liner IMO has been replaced, when, we will never know for sure ! after a battle it was common for the armies to sweep the battlefield and recover equipment and refurbish and re issue it, helmets in particular were refurbished, new liners fitted due to damage or severe staining (blood, snot & flesh) and then repainted. Of course this is pure supposition, just something that could of happened to your helmet. So to summerise, a German made M16 could of been at a later stage of its service have had an Austro-Hungarian liner refit (just as in later years many were fitted with M31 liners and reissued to both the Austrian and German Armies in the 1930's, but thats another story !). Hope that helps.
    Prost ! Steve Lee.

Oradour,
    Thank you very much for your response, clear, crisp and accurate, very appreciated.
    RL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast