Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M16 Stahlhelm mit Tarnung

Article about: This model 1916 steel helmet with camouflage paint showed up at auction. It looks like an authentic period paint job to me but I defer to others with more knowledge. Since it is in relic con

Default M16 Stahlhelm mit Tarnung

This model 1916 steel helmet with camouflage paint showed up at auction. It looks like an authentic period paint job to me but I defer to others with more knowledge. Since it is in relic condition (no liner or chin strap) and the interior is quite dirty and rusty, I don't know if it is worth pursuing. Input welcome. NH

M16 Stahlhelm mit TarnungM16 Stahlhelm mit TarnungM16 Stahlhelm mit TarnungM16 Stahlhelm mit TarnungM16 Stahlhelm mit TarnungM16 Stahlhelm mit Tarnung

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Stahlhelm mit Tarnung
    P
    Many

?

If the price is right I'd take a shot at it.

I know we frown upon "what is it worth" on this site and I respect that custom. However, I don't have an idea of the value on this particular helmet. It is somewhat outside my collecting focus. I would pick it up if the price was reasonable but I suspect someone at this particular auction will pay way too much for it. NH

?

If someone pays "way to much" then they did you a service. Check eBay and see what some are going for and then figure what the piece is really worth to you.

MAP
    ?

The age, colors and patina look good but the camo pattern, while at first look appears like a typical pattern, looks sloppy on a closer examination. Only have one in these so others who have handled or seen more examples hopefully will chime in. Like the plugged vent holes!

It's been a while since I priced one of these but I "think" (if I remember) examples with liner were going for around $800 and up (dealer prices). That might be a start for you. Some of the big dealers have these for sale. That should give you an idea as well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

IMHO it is crazy to pay as much for a steel helmet as you could pay and get a spike helmet. The prices on these are way over inflated. As to camo vs plain. It took me years to find a helmet that wasn't camo, every helmet I came up with was camo.

MAP
    ?

In looking closer...I see that the camo paint goes right up to the edge of the liner pin holes. Indicating that the camo paint was applied with the liner out...Maybe it is only my eyes...

But this would be a concern for me.
    Last edited by MAP; 04-19-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks fellas. I did do some pricing and found the examples with intact liners in the 800 to 1,000 range. I do believe this is an original period paint job. And the plugged air vents are certainly consistent with practices during the war. I'm going to watch this one but I will probably just drop out. By the way, I do have an issue Feldgrau example that I purchased years ago - 1976 to be exact! NH

M16 Stahlhelm mit Tarnung