Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M18 Camo helmet - question.

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm currently looking at this M18 German helmet (no liner) and have a few questions regarding the camo. It looks good to me but I would like to know if German helmets were st

Default M18 Camo helmet - question.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking at this M18 German helmet (no liner) M18 Camo helmet - question.M18 Camo helmet - question.M18 Camo helmet - question.M18 Camo helmet - question.M18 Camo helmet - question.and have a few questions regarding the camo. It looks good to me but I would like to know if German helmets were still camoed after 1917. 1918 seems quite late and I have read of some being painted post war as souvenirs. I have also not been able to locate many pictures of camo M18's. Apologies for posting the pics twice.

Any thoughts on this would be great appreciated. Seller currently asking $295 US.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Camo helmet - question.
    P
    Many

The patina and general wear on the dome look convincing to me as does the style and colours used. Remember the regulations on camo helmets were not issued until July 1918, so from then all helmets in use at the front could be painted, that includes the M1918 pattern. Certainly some souvenirs were created but that is just as likely to be on a M1916. As always, very difficult to know, other than this helmet probably returned from Europe with a serviceman at the end of the war.

Thank you Anderson for the reply. Curious that you don't see too many camo M18s. Perhaps less were pressed into service due to the end of the war.

I'm no expert but I like this one. As stated above, the pattern and colors look good
    and the wear and scratches all look period.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I don't see m1918 as much as the m1916, so finding a good camo one is a little scarcer. It looks good to me.

?

From these pictures the color pallete is period and application and patina looks to be original.

IMO - a reasonable price for what it is.

Thank you all for your feedback - I had a feeling it was all good but your knowledge has helped me to gain a little bit more confidence in my judgment (having said that German WW2 helmets are still very tricky). I went ahead and purchased the helmet and will post some pictures when it arrives.