Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

m1916 stahlhelm

Article about: hi guys just a few pics of my relic condition helmet unfortunately no liner or chinstrap its agood solid lid apart from a huge hole in the top not sure what hit it but the exit was from unde

Default m1916 stahlhelm

hi guys just a few pics of my relic condition helmet unfortunately no liner or chinstrap its agood solid lid apart from a huge hole in the top not sure what hit it but the exit was from underneath and out the top there are no maker marks present due to corrosion but judging by the brow plate spacers it must be a size 62 one thing that puzzles me is the reason for one of the lugs to be cut off also attached to the inside of the shell was a period part of a french newspaper with what look like french surnames on it allthough i cant be sure as i dont speak french perhaps somebody out there could enlighten me cheers james m1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m1916 stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Default Re: m1916 stahlhelm

I have seen a photo of helmets being rendered useless by driving a pick axe thru the top. Perhaps that is what made the hole in yours

G'day Colonel, I have to concur with pastier about the pick axe, i have seen pictures of it being done,as for the newspaper i believe they used to line them with paper to stave of the cold a bit better. The air vent lug will probably remain a mystery maybe he needed a washer or spacer to fix a piece of equipment?

Regards Phill

thanks dastier and g'day woodsnake from the uk many thanks for the comments and can i say very interesting i never knew about them being damaged in this way , in defence all i can say is why would they drive a pick axe down through an upturned helmet also the exit hole has a molted fused edge to it as though a lot of heat was applied as for the cut lug im still baffled it has the same rusted patina as the helmet so it must have been cut a long time ago but why would someone cut one and not the other thanks again james

ive decided to partly refurb this stahlhelm im not going to touch the lid itself but only to add a few pieces ive started with a chin strap the attachments were solid enough to take it so i thought why not its a good quality replacement with brass fittings ill keep posting as it progresses thanks jamesm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelm

'm Stoned

sorry woodsnake i dont understand

Hi Colonel,

My M16 has a similar hole in it. It exits through the top of the helmet, so if it actually was pick-axed, the lid must have been upside-down.

m1916 stahlhelmm1916 stahlhelm

Quote by col james View Post
    sorry woodsnake i dont understand
    Me Either Col??? I dont even remember doing it ?? Maybe i "WAS" Stoned but i apolaguise none the less

Cheers Phill

thats ok phill no worries i just thought it might be some relic terminology i havent heard before ,