Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm

Article about: Can someone tell me what the markings are? One the steel I can make out Solingen, but can't make out the name above it. Blade also has FW 56 on the spine. Handle is stamped 26. R. 7. 55. FW

Default Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm

Can someone tell me what the markings are? One the steel I can make out Solingen, but can't make out the name above it. Blade also has FW 56 on the spine. Handle is stamped 26. R. 7. 55. FW 56. Two different sized crowns. Above the FW 56, the crown looks to have a cross at the top. The crown below it has a small crown with a "m" under it. Looking to understand the meaning of all of these.
    Thank you.
    Here are pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm   Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm  

Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm   Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm  

Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm
    P
    Many

?

The marking are regimental marking and proof marks also the marking on the spine of the blade are the last digits of the year it was accepted into service along with the initials of the reigning monarch . The experts will be along shortly to give you the answer you are looking for.

BUT, I have to add that when in your original post the painted blade made me cringe .STOP TRYING TO RESTORE IT!!!!! Even if you think it looks better now you just polished away the patina that makes this a weapon from 1856.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil.
    Received some "advice" on removing the spray paint and went with it. I'll exercise more patience and get more opinions with some of the other things we are finding. Here's another item.... not cleaned!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Marking on Prussian Artillery M1849 - Jaeger M1857 Side Arm  

?

I see you joined and are in the pink. AWESOME!!! I have to add that same comment to the WW1 sword you are showing in that last pic. Open a new post with that beauty and we can help you out. Are there any maker marks on the ricasso of that blade? ( just above the hilt/hand guard and where the blade edge begins) It might be behind the langet(little shield shaped extension of the hand guard)
    Maybe better to start a new post and answer that question there. We don't want to get these two mixed up.
    I look forward to seeing more pic's of this sword

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It doesn't look like anyone has answered your question about the markings so, here goes....crown FW56 = Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm 1856 (the manufacture date), 26.R.7.55 = Inf.Rgt.26, 7.company, weapon 55. The smaller crown with Gothic letter is the inspector stamp.