Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Modern Photos of Landshut

Article about: I would like to ask if there is anyone on the orum that lives near Landshut; could you take some photographs of the prison and the island called the Zwischer Brucken in the river Isar. I am

?

I've read this with interest. I tried (unsuccessfully) to locate Burg Trausnitz on Google Maps, but reading the link above I read that the Burg is situated on a hill outside Landshut.
    I decided that the best way to find the hill would be to go into Streetview, and here's where it gets very strange.

You are not allowed to select Streetview in Landshut! All you are allowed is a series of suggested places, marked by blue dots, and all you are permitted to see is a pre-photographed view from that dot.

I have only seen something similar when I tried to view Hitler's house at Berchtesgaden; I wanted to see if the Linden tree ordered by Boormann was still there. But you are only permitted certain views from various dots, which seems to be to dissuade neo-Nazis from viewing anything Nazi-related, and with no other houses on that stretch of road it can't be anything to do with the German privacy issue.

So what is so important about Landshut that it is screened from view, and censored, by Google? What are we not allowed to see?

Thank you very much for helping me clarify this and for taking the time to share this information with me. I sincerely appreciate it.
    Tom

HOHENLINDEN

by: Thomas Campbell (1777-1844)

N Linden when the sun was low,
    All bloodless lay the untrodden snow,
    And dark as winter was the flow
    Of Iser, rolling rapidly.

But Linden saw another sight
    When the drum beat, at dead of night,
    Commanding fires of death to light
    The darkness of her scenery.

By torch and trumpet fast arrayed
    Each horseman drew his battle blade,
    And furious every charger neighed,
    To join the dreadful revelry.

Then shook the hills with thunder riven,
    Then rushed the steed to battle driven,
    And louder than the bolts of heaven
    Far flashed the red artillery.

And redder yet those fires shall glow
    On Linden's hills of blood-stained snow,
    And darker yet shall be the flow
    Of Iser, rolling rapidly.

'Tis morn, but scarce yon lurid sun
    Can pierce the war-clouds, rolling dun,
    Where furious Frank and fiery Hun
    Shout in their sulphurous canopy.

The combat deepens. On, ye brave,
    Who rush to glory, or the grave!
    Wave, Munich, all thy banners wave!
    And charge with all thy chivalry!

Ah! few shall part where many meet!
    The snow shall be their winding-sheet,
    And every turf beneath their feet
    Shall be a soldier's sepulchre.

Quote by NickM View Post
    I tried (unsuccessfully) to locate Burg Trausnitz on Google Maps, but reading the link above I read that the Burg is situated on a hill outside Landshut.
    The hill is actually located well within present-day city limits; in fact the castle is just a few minutes walking distance from the historic old town.

Also, it is easily found on Google Maps; one really has to enter no more than "Burg Trausnitz" to come up with the proper suggestion.

Quote by NickM View Post
    I decided that the best way to find the hill would be to go into Streetview, and here's where it gets very strange.

You are not allowed to select Streetview in Landshut! All you are allowed is a series of suggested places, marked by blue dots, and all you are permitted to see is a pre-photographed view from that dot.

So what is so important about Landshut that it is screened from view, and censored, by Google? What are we not allowed to see?
    We're the site of the little-known Area 52.

But seriously: It has nothing to do with the town as such and there is no censorship thing going on.

The answer is simply that Google Streetview covers only a very few major population centers in Germany. For Bavaria in particular, it is only available for the greater Munich- and Nuremberg areas.

?

Ah, thanks. I did wonder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2