Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

My camouflage German M16 helmet shell

Article about: I picked up this camouflage German helmet shell this week end. What do you guys think about the pattern?

?

Default My camouflage German M16 helmet shell

I picked up this camouflage German helmet shell this week end. What do you guys think about the pattern?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My camouflage German M16 helmet shell   My camouflage German M16 helmet shell  

My camouflage German M16 helmet shell   My camouflage German M16 helmet shell  

My camouflage German M16 helmet shell  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My camouflage German M16 helmet shell
    P
    Many

Default re: My camouflage German M16 helmet shell

Well, it is interesting to say the least and looks like it was applied a long time ago when a liner was still fitted to it, whether this was done by someone in the trench who liked the idea of racing stripes on their helmet or the work of someone else after the war I can't say. Still interesting though

Thanks

Danny

Nice, interesting pattern on this one.....................!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice, interesting pattern on this one.....................!
    As I checked out the shell I found the marker mark “T.J 66”. From what I have read, I think that it should be a C. Thiel & Söhne, from Lübeck .This is the first one I have from this maker.

On the inside dome, it is stamped “368” dose anyone what that number means.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My camouflage German M16 helmet shell   My camouflage German M16 helmet shell  

Last edited by Georg; 10-26-2010 at 02:32 AM.

This site, faq, has some interesting information on Manufacturer codes, although he doesn't list steel mill codes, you could probably email him and ask. Forgot to mention that the info on WWI helmets are at the bottom of the page.

?

I've been a lot in the WW1 zones of France and visited a lot of museums, never seen this pattern or this colour combination.
    That doesn't mean it can't be real, i've seen a lot of stuff directly from the battlefield that was modified by the former owners, only thing that bothers me is that the lines were made with the help of tape.
    This was not common in the muddy trenches.
    My guess it was brought up later and would not be done this way in the trenches.

Default Re: My camouflage German M16 helmet shell

Quote by gerrit View Post
    I've been a lot in the WW1 zones of France and visited a lot of museums, never seen this pattern or this colour combination.That doesn't mean it can't be real, i've seen a lot of stuff directly from the battlefield that was modified by the former owners, only thing that bothers me is that the lines were made with the help of tape.
    This was not common in the muddy trenches.My guess it was brought up later and would not be done this way in the trenches.
    Georg, I am with gerrit on this one, I have seen similiar type cammo finishes (in a variety of stripes and colours !), but, I must admit never with tape lines ! however that said and done, I still like it ! and I would not attempt to alter it !....it is indeed a "C. Thiel & Soehne, Luebeck (T.J. mm)" , they made helmets in sizes 66 and 68, I have an M18 made by them, rare maker. The number inside the dome is the heat lot code which identifies the rolling mill, it will start with a "Letter" followed by a series of numbers....Although there were regulations to follow in applying the cammo, i.e. colours, finger width black lines, etc, it was done by the soldier himserlf to mimick the terrain he was fighting in at the time of application (colour of local land/earth) , so at times a liberal dose of artistic licence came into play !
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: My camouflage German M16 helmet shell

Nice maker to find,but the camo on the shell is not something from ww1, I would say done post war.the reason I am saying this the camo is too flashy camo helmets were done do bland in not to be seing.Never seen a helmet like this in Museum in book or in collectors collection.