Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My First Stahlhelm

Article about: Hey guys. I just picked up my first WW1 Stahlhelm today and I thought I'd share it with you for your thoughts. As you can see from the pics, there is a partial Iron Cross decal on the right

Default My First Stahlhelm

My First StahlhelmMy First StahlhelmMy First StahlhelmHey guys. I just picked up my first WW1 Stahlhelm today and I thought I'd share it with you for your thoughts.

As you can see from the pics, there is a partial Iron Cross decal on the right side. I have never seen one before but it looks period to me i.e. it has crazing and fits in with the general age of the rest of the helmet.

From the naked eye the helmet has a thin layer of rust all over it. When I took the pics, with flash, it became apparent that there is a camo paint job underneath.

Should I take some Whink to it and reveal what's underneath or should I leave it alone? I really am tempted.

Anyway, the only mark I could find is a heatstamp on the crown which says R1464...no pins, chinstrap or liner unfortunately.My First StahlhelmMy First StahlhelmMy First Stahlhelm
    Last edited by instigator008; 03-16-2012 at 03:29 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Default Re: My First Stahlhelm

I think it's borderline relic condition, though I would like to see a pic or two of the interior. You could go either way on this one. I tend to leave helmets alone (for the most part) unless they are of no collector value, then I might experiment a little. You can certainly do what you will with it but beware, things don't always turn out like you want them to, and once the damage is done, that's it. Can't put back on 90 years of dirt, patina and rust once you remove it, lol. Wait and see what some other guys think about what to do. This was just my personal feelings. Nice lid nonetheless!

I would leave it alone if I were you. The decal is most likely a biker addition.

?

I'd leave it....don't like mucking with shells like this!!!! Take some nice shots that reveal the cam,and I'm sure if you took it into natural light you'd be able too see it.....I thought my M40 lufty was a grey colour till I took some shots of it outside, didn't realize how blue it was under the 70 odd years of patina......

If you tried to clean it, I reckon it would loose its character and value.....the iron cross on the side is ome thing I have not seen, but very cool....

By the way what is " whink"?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I'd leave it....don't like mucking with shells like this!!!! Take some nice shots that reveal the cam,and I'm sure if you took it into natural light you'd be able too see it.....I thought my M40 lufty was a grey colour till I took some shots of it outside, didn't realize how blue it was under the 70 odd years of patina......

If you tried to clean it, I reckon it would loose its character and value.....the iron cross on the side is ome thing I have not seen, but very cool....

By the way what is " whink"?
    Whink is a rust stain removing product I've read great things about. Others have had great luck with it.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I think it's borderline relic condition, though I would like to see a pic or two of the interior. You could go either way on this one. I tend to leave helmets alone (for the most part) unless they are of no collector value, then I might experiment a little. You can certainly do what you will with it but beware, things don't always turn out like you want them to, and once the damage is done, that's it. Can't put back on 90 years of dirt, patina and rust once you remove it, lol. Wait and see what some other guys think about what to do. This was just my personal feelings. Nice lid nonetheless!
    Inside shots added. No rust on the inside. The rust on the outside is a very thin layer. No bubbling or holes etc.

?

I wanted to believe the ironcross was period....but a little voice kept saying 70's bikie

The decal is, of course, certainly not original or period to the helmet. But it Would have made an Excellent sniper target,in any case... "Okey,Men! Hit Three Iron Crosses and you win yourself a Kewpie Doll!" I could see it... lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by AMTG View Post
    I wanted to believe the ironcross was period....but a little voice kept saying 70's bikie
    Could well be...but its stayin' :-)

?

Yeh I'd still leave it as is, still part of the helmets history

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast