Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!

Article about: Although I certainly don't need any more of these, I couldn't pass this one up! Unfortunately, it lacks its scabbard but otherwise is the nicest one I've ever seen, amazing for its age. The

Default My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!

Although I certainly don't need any more of these, I couldn't pass this one up - it's completely smooth with no trace of rust or pitting! Unfortunately, it lacks its scabbard but otherwise is the nicest one I've ever seen, amazing for its age. The marking on the spine was uncharacteristically sloppy and overlaps the letter below it; the date appears to be 18 though I didn't think these were made that late in the war?? The maker's mark reads SCHLEUTERMANN - REMSCHIED. There's a thinning bluing on the pommel cap and blade and four strange "dents" along the fuller. (Another of my M98/05 blades has this as well, but not quite so pronounced; could it be from their scabbards?) Since it was a late-war production, it probably wasn't issued and that was likely the reason it remained in the Heer inventory from the 1920 surcharge stamp on the crossguard.

My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Latest Sitengewehr M98/05 - A Real Beauty!
    P
    Many

A tidy S 98/05 bayonet, but a pity without scabbard. It is 1918 marked so late wartime and then post WW1 the 1920 mark and bluing of the bayonet indicates use by either the Reichswehr or Polizei. It could well have continued in service into early WW2, there are photos from France 1940 showing these bayonets still in use.

Good looking Bayo.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Nice looking reissue. That 1920 type is one I'm missing from my collection.

Fist time seeing that maker.

I know you mentioned not having the scabbard, but are those dents on the blade or wear marks from the spring retainer in the scabbard.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice, the picture is near Strasbourg, Alsace.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/