Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet

Article about: Hello everybody Julekpl again. I wanted to thank you all for the great tips when purchasing a 98/05 bayonet. I have recently purchased a nice CITO marked bayonet, with a leather scabbard. I

Default My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet

Hello everybody Julekpl again. I wanted to thank you all for the great tips when purchasing a 98/05 bayonet. I have recently purchased a nice CITO marked bayonet, with a leather scabbard. I am not sure about the year though, I cannot seem to find it. The bayonet and scabbard are marked with what appears to be either a B or a D with a crown above it. Any thoughts? Oh and I have removed the grips, they were practically falling apart. Thanks! My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet

CITO was a registered trademark of Ernst Packe Sohn who were cutlery wholesalers and distributors in Solingen, founded in 1909.

Their bayonets do not appear to be dated.

Source: Anthony Carter - The Models 98/02 and 98/05.

The Crown/letter markings are inspection stamps.

Was it common for CITO to use leather scabbards? After 90 or so years, I'm surprised this thing is still holding together.

Julekpl,

I ran across this 98/05 with the sawback. If you wanted to up grade. (although I'll have to admit, it's a little high.) The Collector's Guild

Anton

Quote by Julekpl View Post
    Was it common for CITO to use leather scabbards? After 90 or so years, I'm surprised this thing is still holding together.
    When the S98/05 was first issued it came with a leather and steel scabbard such as yours.

The all steel scabbard first came into use in 1915. Only one major manufacturer marked their scabbards - Mauser, although there were also a couple of minor makers.

Your bayonet is the new pattern which was introduced in September 1915. Without a date on the blade, the exact date of manufacture is unknown so it is very difficult to tell which type of scabbard the CITO 98/05 would have been issued with.

Some leather scabbards survive in remarkably good condition - mainly due to how they have been stored and maintained - shrinkage is sometimes a problems which then prevents the bayonet from being fully inserted into the scabbard.

Regards

Richie

?

Hello Julekpl,I have a Cito 98-05 sawback but with a steel scabbard , it is not dated but has a stamping on the spine of the blade ,i posted it on the forum a while back to see if anybody could work out the meening of the stamp ,it could be a inspection stamp but not realy sure ,check the pics out see what you think ,Regards Paul.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet   My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet  

My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet  
    Attached Images Attached Images My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet  My new CITO WW1 98/05 bayonet 

I think the "8" might be an inspection stamp. I have looked at a few CITO 98-05, but I have not seen any with any marking similar to yours. What I have found out is that CITO made bayonets are R3, which are rare. Supposedly these were made only from 1915-1916. That what the guys say here: CITO 98/05 "Butcher" Bayonet - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums