Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My new trench knife

Article about: I picked up this trench knife this week (off of e-bay of all places). There are no maker marks. It has a large stag handle with a recurved cross guard. The pommel has an Imperial German eagl

?

Default My new trench knife

I picked up this trench knife this week (off of e-bay of all places). There are no maker marks. It has a large stag handle with a recurved cross guard. The pommel has an Imperial German eagle emblem (look like an imperial button to me). The metal scabbard is in good shape with a brown leather belt loop and buckled handle strap. What do you guys thinks? Is it a period item, I never seen a buckle-loop strap before.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new trench knife   My new trench knife  

My new trench knife  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new trench knife
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My new trench knife

more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new trench knife   My new trench knife  

I think it could be period, or made between the wars as a
    commemorative piece. It sure is a nice one !

Never seen a buckled strap before either....
    Regards,

Steve.

Georg, in my opion, commercial hunting knife and scabbard,( this type of buckled scabbard has been noted on wartime pieces) from WW1 period, that found itself in use in the trenches, it is either staghorn or composite material and lends a certain quality to the piece. However the strenght of the blade especially where the ricasso becomes the tang is doubtfull. The "button" is an NCO rank collar button, and will be either 25mm or 30mm (Gefreiter or Sergeant). It is an extremly good looking piece, and very desirable, nice find !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks for all of your input, I think that it will fit in nicely with my WW1 imperial fighting knife collection ( I know that the HJ knife does not fit in, but I am holding it for my grand-son’s first German knife-per his mom I will have to wait a few years to give it to him).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new trench knife  

Georg,
    You have a great collection of fighters. Besides Imperial Iron crosses, I also have a love
    of fighting knives BUT somehow I have never been at the right place or the right time
    to find one that I can afford. I particularly like the style that you show 2nd from the bottom,
    just above the HJ knife.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.