Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My (as of now still) rather tiny collection of Imperial "death cards".

Article about: Fellow members, I really don't know how much interest there is here for Imperial "death cards", but they certainly have an immense effect on me. I have only collected for a year an

KSH
    ?

Default Re: My (as of now still) rather tiny collection of Imperial "death cards".

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Nice large collection of cards. I have several from both wars.........
    Thank you Steve! "Several", meaning? I probably will get myself some WWII cards in due time, but I don't think I'll ever devote the kind of special attention to them as I have devoted to the Imperial ones. But one never knows...

- Kenneth

Default Re: My (as of now still) rather tiny collection of Imperial "death cards".

'Several' as in about a half dozen or so of each. I need to get some more soon !
    Imperial cards have more 'religious content' too, and I suppose they are
    somewhat more 'touching'.

Those with photos of proud, young pipe smoking soldier boys with flowers
    in their tunics makes me feel that they did not really know what they
    were getting themselves into. The cards are sad but
    fascinating at the same time.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Those are very interesting I only have WW2 cards unfortunately.

?

very very nice
    I would call that the biggest ww1 death card collection on the forum or mabey the most dedicated.
    I have only got two ww2 cards and one of them is two brothers. I would be nervous with ww1 cards as they must be very delicate. my document is cracking down the middle and I am devistated.
    Nice collection, I might take a leaf out of your book

cheers,
    Pat

KSH
    ?

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    very very nice
    I would call that the biggest ww1 death card collection on the forum or mabey the most dedicated.
    I have only got two ww2 cards and one of them is two brothers. I would be nervous with ww1 cards as they must be very delicate. my document is cracking down the middle and I am devistated.
    Nice collection, I might take a leaf out of your book

cheers,
    Pat
    Thank you, Pat They are definitely more fragile and delicate (some are also very thin and light) than the WWII ones. This card here is very delicate and you can see that it has come apart somewhat:

This is my worst damaged card

The WWI cards are also harder to find, so it feels more special when you find a really nice one

- Kenneth

KSH
    ?

Quote by leej11 View Post
    Those are very interesting I only have WW2 cards unfortunately.
    That can easily be amended though

- Kenneth

KSH
    ?

Hi everyone,

I haven't spent much time on the forum lately as I am busy with the more mundane things life has to offer, but I am taking the time to post a very interesting and historically significant lot of "death cards" I have been lucky enough to be able to add to my card collection. I know Imperial "death cards" are not that a popular subject among collectors, they are however one of my collecting passions. This is a kind of lot one doesn't see everyday as all the cards originate from the same German town, Schwandorf in Bayern (Bavaria) - just north of Regensburg. The cards date mostly from the war-years 1914 and 1915. One of these soldiers was only 17 years old when he fell - he had volunteered for the army. Included in the lot are also two cards from Schwandorf that date not from the Great War, rather they were veterans of this war and died in the time of the Third Reich.

These cards were collected by a sacristan in Schwandorf over the years.

To the left the 17 year old victim of the war:

These cards tell a poignant story within a relative small time-frame (excluding the veteran's cards) and these men are also of course linked to each other by being from the same town. Many of them probably knew each other well.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Very nice collection of death cards. Thanks for posting.

?

Very nice lot Friend, Very interesting. Thank you for showing.

Cheers, Pat

Very moving thread, It's hard to think how young some of these soldiers were.

Thanks

Burt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast