Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!

Article about: Greetings everyone, I picked this up from a local estate yesterday, and it appears to have had a very hard hit from an edged weapon of some kind. There is a dent on the top that shows a clea

RZM
    ?

Default My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!

Greetings everyone,

I picked this up from a local estate yesterday, and it appears to have had a very hard hit from an edged weapon of some kind. There is a dent on the top that shows a clear cut from a sharpened blade. It also has a name on the skirt that I cannot quite make out. The last letters appear to be "N_KI." The missing letter could possibly be an "S", but I'm not sure. Any help IDing the name would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find an original size 66 m1917 liner? I don't want to put a repro liner in it if I can help it. All opinions and comments welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!   My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!  

My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!   My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!  

My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!   My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!  

My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!
    P
    Many

Default Re: My Recently Acquired m1916 Battle Damaged Helmet, Named!

Hi and welcome to the Imperial section ! a great looking model 1917 stahlhelm ! it already has its original liner in it, it just lacks the liner pads which have rotted off, I strongly advise that you do not remove the metal band or pins, the pins will probably break and you will destroy originality, devaluing the helmet immensely...the helmet should be left as is...however if you are insistent on restoring, what I would do is to obtain three liner pads and not a complete replacement liner, see here for replacements and a credible replacement chinstrap Military Reproductions and with a flat bladed screwdriver work the pads down between the band and helmet wall.......you will struggle to find original pads...
    The helmet is maker and size marked "Si 66" this is for "Eisenhuette Silesia of Paruschowitz Oberschlesien" they only made sizes 62 and 66... The damage is nothing, and adds to its character !
    Hope this helps, Prost ! Steve.

RZM
    ?

Thanks for the reply Steve. The damage was one of the reasons that I bought it. I thought that it showed just how up-close and personal WWI was at times when they weren't fighting from the trenches. I would love to decipher the name on this one and see if I can find out any information about the soldier. It's a long shot, I know. Thanks again!

?

Concur with Steve those guys supply nice gear not really my philosophy though.
    If I may suggest you send them the helmet and explain you want to retain the original band I can imagine its not that easy to remove a steel band and fit pads oneself.
    Would be worth it imo, nice helmet btw.

Eric