Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My two new pickelhaubes

Article about: Just picked up these two for \\$165, how did I do? All the best, Stefan

?

Default Re: My two new pickelhaubes

I think Oradour might be your best bet to seek advice on restoring the shape, personally i would try to steam it into shape over a wooden head former, and one that can be opened and closed in sizes, ordinary leather chin straps can be found but they are few and far between, also the roundal cockades that attach to the side strap lugs are much harder, the main problem is to find the correct badge for the type of helmet, the liners appear in good condition and will reshape

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My two new pickelhaubes
    P
    Many

Quote by thekid View Post
    Yes it is in pretty good condition for the age, i was pretty impressed by it. Also how would go about unflattening the squished helmet? Luckily it is not "crispy" and still quite maleable. If someone could help me with that that would be great!

All the best,
    Stefan
    Theres a site that has alot about pickelhaibe restoration . I think its at 'The Kaisers Bunker ' ,but may be wrong . Its a great WW1 site anyhow !

?

Thanks for the help guys! I will look into it and I will be on the search for insignia to restore these pieces

All the best,
    Stefan

Stefan, a fantastic find at that price ! These helmets are now becoming hard to find at good prices, let alone $165 for two ! they can be easily restored......simply get a head form, a cheap polystyrene one for wigs will do (cover with fabric as the acid in the plastic can stain leather), simply place the helmet over the form and leave for at least 2-3 weeks, the helmet will retain the shape of the form, its as easy as that...do not mess with water/steam unless you know what you are doing...do not use any oils as you will cause the leather to break down and disintegrate ! All the parts to restore are still available, cockades/chinstraps/front plates etc.....you can either leave them as found with age related parts sourced for them or with a bit of spit & polish you can restore to as they where when worn by a Prussian soldat on parade ! see here..... Preservation & Cleaning of Antique Headgear

Good luck with these projects, keep us informed of your progress !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Stefan, a fantastic find at that price ! These helmets are now becoming hard to find at good prices, let alone $165 for two ! they can be easily restored......simply get a head form, a cheap polystyrene one for wigs will do (cover with fabric as the acid in the plastic can stain leather), simply place the helmet over the form and leave for at least 2-3 weeks, the helmet will retain the shape of the form, its as easy as that...do not mess with water/steam unless you know what you are doing...do not use any oils as you will cause the leather to break down and disintegrate ! All the parts to restore are still available, cockades/chinstraps/front plates etc.....you can either leave them as found with age related parts sourced for them or with a bit of spit & polish you can restore to as they where when worn by a Prussian soldat on parade ! see here..... Preservation & Cleaning of Antique Headgear

Good luck with these projects, keep us informed of your progress !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Wow thanks for the great information! Yah i think I'm definately going to restore them and will update progress here. Once again thanks alot!

All the best,
    Stefan

?

Started the blocking process, so now we wait!

My two new pickelhaubes

?

Super price for two spikies!

Adler

very very very nice buy !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2