Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with Brotbeutel

Article about: Welcome I question whether these two haversacks, are originals from theWWI or later?. Grey have a replica backpack straps and hooks, the other is repaired Dring mounting feldflashe.

?

Default Need help with Brotbeutel

Welcome
    I question whether these two haversacks, are originals from theWWI or later?.
    Grey have a replica backpack straps and hooks, the other is repaired Dring mounting feldflashe.

Last edited by Tomek; 06-27-2010 at 11:39 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with Brotbeutel
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help with Brotbeutel

Mate,

They both look to be HJ or SA from the TR period to me.

Regards

Jock

The tan coloured on the right in the picture could be a WW I breadbag, since it has the type of buttons that were used on them.
    The left one could be anything from pre WW II police to post war West German units of any type.
    What do the markings on the right one say?

?

stamps breadbag on the right side
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help with Brotbeutel 

Tomek,...wwmilitaria is quite right, the left breadbag is probably post WW2, FRG Polizie or Grenshutze (Border guards), the one on the right is WW1 Imperial German army issue or to give its full title, an M1893 Brotbeutel, I have one with similiar marks's, I unfortunatly cannot read the stamps, but i can make out a maker stamp and a 'BA' army clothing depot issue stamp...notice the shape of the two bags side by side... Imperial breadbags are slightly longer than TR counterparts, and considerably longer than post war ones !....the buttons are the give away, and as a rule of the thumb, 4 holes for Imperial, 3 for TR. As for colour, early ones were usually an Ochre colour, wartime examples, anything from a reddy brown through to light grey!....the bag was designed to hold a daily ration, spare ammo (30 rounds), and drinking cup (although in practice the cup was often attached to the waterbottle), the bag was to be worn on the right hip, but could also be carried over the shoulder using the 'breadbag strap' that was initially issued with the bag, spring clipped to rings sewn on to the rear of the bag, incidently this 'strap' could be/was used as supports for the M1909 ammo pouches when worn round the neck, so all in all a fairly important piece of kit !

?

Thanks all for help