Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help With This Hlemet

Article about: Very nice shell. Good to see the liner band and rivets intact. These are a favourite of mine as well - Congrats.........!

Default Need Help With This Hlemet

I found this helmet locally. I was told it was from the individual's uncle's estate. He knew nothing about it. I don't know much more and I am looking for help.

Stamped on left inner "ET 64" These are the only markings I can find. Where else should I be looking and for what?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help With This Hlemet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Help With This Hlemet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need Help With This Hlemet

Its a WW1 german shell. I think M-16?

Yes, an M16, the original German Stahlhelm introduced in 1916. Looks like a good one to me with original paintwork and liner band. I wonder if there might be a trace of camoflage paint. ET64 is the manufacturer (Eisenwerke Thale) and size marking. There is sometimes also a batch number.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes, an M16, the original German Stahlhelm introduced in 1916. Looks like a good one to me with original paintwork and liner band. ET64 is the manufacturer (Eisenwerke Thale) and size marking. There is sometimes also a batch number.
    Where do you find the batch number in these? Same as WWII? In the back?

On my one its in the dome in the middle.

Model 1916 with the metal liner band, commonly called the M17. As said, batch number is on te inside top of the dome. Hard to read is there is heavy dirt or rust buildup. Looks like a nice shell.

You are correct. In the dome of the helmet is a number "? W 3 1 9" I think there are two letters but I can't make out the first one. The second is definitely a W followed by a 3 1 9 spaced out quite a bit. Does this help?

Nice Stahlhelm M16 sometime called M17, for the iron part of the liner.

Quote by Boudionovka View Post
    Nice Stahlhelm M16 sometime called M17, for the iron part of the liner.
    Although an M16 shell, with a metal liner it is known as an M17..... A nice example, the mark"ET 64" is for maker "Eisenhuettenwerke Thale A.G." of Thale in the Harz region, they were one of the most commonly found makers of steel helmets making all sizes from 60 to 68. The number in the dome is a batch number that would identify which rolling mill the batch of steel had come from, however there is not one starting with a " ?W"...here are the codes for known mills....

R.....Stahlwerk Röchling, Volkingen.
    B.....Stahlwerk Becker, Kiefeld.
    Bi.....Oberschlesien, Bismarckhutte.

Hope that helps.
    Prost ! Steve.

Very nice M17, my favorite helmet :-)

MFG
    Marc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast