Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

need help identifying a uniform and maybe more

Article about: Please, if any one has time, I need help identifying this uniform. It's my great-grandfather pic. It looks Austro-Hungarian to me but that white collar is really throwing me off. To complica

Default need help identifying a uniform and maybe more

Please, if any one has time, I need help identifying this uniform. It's my great-grandfather pic. It looks Austro-Hungarian to me but that white collar is really throwing me off.

To complicate things even more, he's supposed to be Polish (wasn't Poland under Russian control during WWI?). I'm pretty ignorant maybe this is a post WWI uniform but it's definitely pre-1930.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Oh, and as a bonus, if any one knows about labor camps Poles might have gone to during WWI era. My grandfather was in a POW camp where my great-great-grandfather worked at in some official capacity. The family story is that the gg-grandfather (Czech) packed up the prisoners and everyone left the conflict ridden area, eventually making their way to Brazil. The labor camp supposedly had to do with fishing.

I don't expect any answers on the whole labor camp thing, I just thought I throw it out there since I'm doing the research.

Default Re: need help identifying a uniform and maybe more

I think it is some kind of Austrian cavalry uniform, judging from the cap and boots.
    Here is a cap similar to the ones they are wearing:

need help identifying a uniform and maybe more

That seems to be in the right direction, we have aneed help identifying a uniform and maybe morepicture of him on a horse. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is anything else anyone can do to identify unit or such.

KSH
    ?

I can't tell you much regarding the uniforms, but I can say that the writing visible in front of the table is in German and conveys that this photo was taken as some sort of commemoration of the service time these men spent together.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Quote by KSH View Post
    I can't tell you much regarding the uniforms, but I can say that the writing visible in front of the table is in German and conveys that this photo was taken as some sort of commemoration of the service time these men spent together.
    Right; more specifically, the text tells us the photo was taken as a memory when they had completed half of their service time.

Thanks for all the help guys.

?

Officers possibly?

Hello,
    the soldiers in the first pictures are surely troops of a K.u.K. Dragoon Regiments since the uniform has 6 flat buttos on the front, a loop on the left shoulder and no pockets. They might be one-year-volunteers (I cannot distinguish if the uniform is privately purchased or not). The numer of the Regiment, according to the light colour of the collar and the cuffs, may be the 5th (if the colour is gambodge yellow and the buttons are silver), the 12th (if the colour is gambodge yellow and the buttons are gold), the 7th (if the colour is sulphur yellow and the buttons are silver), the 10th (if the colour is sulphur yellow and the buttons are goldd) or the 15th (if the colour is white and the buttons are gold).
    If your great-grandfather was really Polish, I am quite sure the Regiment is the 12th ("Nikolaus Nikolajewitsch Großfürst v. Rußland") since the troops belonging to this Regiment were recruited in the area of Krakow. Do you still have his uniforms and/or equipment?
    Regards,

Enrico