Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New Imperial Items

Article about: I offered to pay and she would't take any money as Steve said good to have friends! Eric

Default Re: New Imperial Items

I offered to pay and she would't take any money as Steve said good to have friends!

Eric

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    I offered to pay and she would't take any money as Steve said good to have friends! Eric
    Indeed Eric ! super medals, however the first medal shown is not for the War of 1866...it is the "Bavarian Military Merit Cross, 3rd class with Swords" established 19th July 1866 and was the kingdom of Bavarias main award for bravery and military merit for enlisted men. In February 1891 "Swords" were authorised to distinguish awards given in wartime, this was made retro-active to cover the Austro-Prussian of 1866 and the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, I think this how you have percieved your award as a seven week war award, when it is not. This award was abolished along with the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1919, although the Government of Bavaria was still awarding them upto 1920. There is sadly no way to tell when your cross was issued. There is a specific award for the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, "The 1866 Bavarian Military War Campaign Cross" I show photographs of this medal, as you can see it is quite differant to yours....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Imperial Items  
    Attached Images Attached Images New Imperial Items  New Imperial Items 

Thanks Oradour the collectors guild have one just like mine and that what I went off guess they need to change the discription.

Eric

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Thanks Oradour the collectors guild have one just like mine and that what I went off guess they need to change the discription.Eric
    Eric, I have just checked that site, quite inexcusable, with regard to his standing in the collector community, I would of thought he would of known better, it is a rather common Imperial award.
    See here for the medals history... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...Cross_(Bavaria) and click on Military Merit Cross (Bavaria).
    Prost ! Steve.
    Last edited by oradour; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Very nice that she thought of you and sent these your way, Eric...............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2