Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display

Article about: Hi All, New to the Forum, I've recently purchased two WW1 items for a display in my study. Thanks to the more knowledgeable posters on this forum I think I was able to obtain these items for

?

Default Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display

Hi All,

New to the Forum, I've recently purchased two WW1 items for a display in my study. Thanks to the more knowledgeable posters on this forum I think I was able to obtain these items for a reasonable cost...both items are in (what I think anyway...) really good condition. From the limited information available the M17 was brought back to Canada by a canadian Captain after WW2, the Ledermaske was brought back to Australia by an 8th Battalion A.I.F Private in 1919. The mask has it's original instructions, all lenses and (from what I know) original straps. It's still surprisingly supple for it's age, despite being almost 100 years old it appears pretty mush usable (not that I would try).

From what I have read on the forum it is advised not to use foam display heads - I figured that 2 layers of stocking coverings should in theory negate the "gassing" of the foam? any thoughts or anyone doing similar? Also, Has anyone experienced the straps stretching over time or is it relatively safe to display the mask on a head for prolonged display?

Thanks for looking.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display  

Dan, welcome to the forum. You have a nice display going for you. I display my helmets flat on their rim. More people will comment soon. Again welcome!!
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

With helmets I tend NOT to display them on full heads. My little pet peeve. With the age of these I do not want to stress the leather anymore than necessary. Especially WW1 liners which are typically dry. As Martin said, flat on the rim is fine (and stuff some plastic bags underneath to support the liners. Or you can by hat stands. A much cheaper alternative are wood or metal paper towel holders.

If you do put them on a Styrofoam head, I cut out the sleeve of an old cotton Tee Shirt and stretch it over the head. I prefer cotton over anything synthetic.

As for the mask, if the straps are loose it should be fine. you can use something to support the canister to stop it from sliding down.

BTW...very nice start to the collection. The mask is a killer! Would love to see more of the helmet.

Here is a not so great picture of the towel holder in use...

Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Map - Thanks for the advice/pic. Very impressive little collection. To be honest the top strap and mask overall was quite a tight fit over the foam head - It concerned me that I'm relying on 100 year old springs & cotton threads here. I decided to fish out an old arty shell I had to use as a prop - now the mask is nice & loose & the front supported. I wasn't totally happy with the foam head, I can sleep somewhat easier now...

Extra pics as requested. Unfortunately the liner pads were all missing (apart from one loose pad) but I have ordered a very good set of replacement pads for the liner & a decent chinstrap. Normally I may have left it alone, but I like the look of the primitive lining...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display   Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display  

Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display   Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display  

Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display   Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display  

styrofoam gassing takes a while to occur if keep it out of direct sunlight usuall 4-5 before is styrofoam still life before it starts to degrade , it is actually quite a durable chemical creation. However if you change it every few years it is not a problem or as the guys have said put some cloth over it if it bothers you.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Jg26 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words gents!

Map - Thanks for the advice/pic. Very impressive little collection. To be honest the top strap and mask overall was quite a tight fit over the foam head - It concerned me that I'm relying on 100 year old springs & cotton threads here. I decided to fish out an old arty shell I had to use as a prop - now the mask is nice & loose & the front supported. I wasn't totally happy with the foam head, I can sleep somewhat easier now...

Extra pics as requested. Unfortunately the liner pads were all missing (apart from one loose pad) but I have ordered a very good set of replacement pads for the liner & a decent chinstrap. Normally I may have left it alone, but I like the look of the primitive lining...
    Thanks. The collection is still in its infancy ☺

very nice shell. Thanks for the extra pictures. An Arty shell is a good idea. I've used that many times as well. Love the tank as well. A few medals and a bayonet would complement the display as well
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A very pleasing display. The helmet is rather nice
    even though it's without a complete liner.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Default Thanks for all the kind comments gents, cheers.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

MAP: Bayo & medals....now, there's a thought.....already the wallet is screaming Spend!!!

I've attached a pic of the Liner restored. I've added just a hint of "weathering" to the pads & drawstring, It may not be to everyone's taste, I tried to keep it somewhat restrained & similar to other genuine liners I've seen.

Regards,

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newby to the forum - M17 Stahlhelm & Ledermaske Display  

?

Most of all members here are beyond mental repair, some of us willingly walk into the Creditcard trap to feed our addiciton (like me), then when it is paid down we promise ourself we will neeever do that again- until two days later we see something new we MUST have to feed the always hungry demon inside.

Good looking display, it will be interesting to follow it and see how it will grow.
    I have started to like these m17 helmets the last couple of years, it could be i MUST have one to stop the voices in my head