Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Odd Early "German" "Bayonet" with engraved blade

Article about: I am getting ready for a show on Sat and was going through some bayonets I am thinking of getting rid of. As I was looking at this one, I relized that the blade is engraved, in what appears

?

Map, a British .577 or American .58...never mind the earlier Model 42s which are .69 cal...well when they hit you..it does not matter as much as where that you might think, they are very slow moving "balls" and of very soft almost pure lead.

Unlike modern bullets that punch their way through..they flatten and cause a lot of damage unlike modern bullets..they do not punch through bones, they smash them..and medician was not up to that sort of thing in those days...really horribible in my mind...but I have gone off track, again
    I have studied Civil War and Crimea War casulities...worst time to be a soldier...weapons where far ahead of Medical treatment

Damn lost track again...funny only 3 of the members working on this thread..on another note.
    The British Whitworth rifled Musket was only .455 but it was the first truly scoped sniper rifle, British made, but never taken by the British Military, however some went to American Confederate Regts...they well hailed buy the Federals as Killing a man at half a mile and dangourus at a mile...and yes they were...look them up...
    So far off the original thread....

Take Care

Dean O
    Canada
    Last edited by CampX; 09-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odd Early "German" "Bayonet" with engraved blade
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by CampX View Post
    Map, a British .577 or American .59...never mind the earlier Model 42s which are .69 cal...well when they hit you..it does not matter as much as where that you might think, they are very slow moving "balls" and of very soft almost pure lead.

Unlike modern bullets that punch their way through..they flatten and cause a lot of damage unlike modern bullets..they do not punch through bones, they smash them..and medician was not up to that sort of thing in those days...really horribible in my mind...but I have gone off track, again
    I have studied Civil War and Crimea War casulities...worst time to be a soldier...weapons where far ahead of Medical treatment

Damn lost track again...funny only 3 of the members working on this thread..on another note.
    The British Whitworth rifled Musket was only .455 but it was the first truly scoped sniper rifle, British made, but never taken by the British Military, however some went to American Confederate Regts...they well hailed buy the Federals as Killing a man at half a mile and dangourus at a mile...and yes they were...look them up...
    So far off the original thread....

Take Care

Dean O
    Canada
    Yes, my point exactly. These flatten and splinter (smash) anything in it's path.

Agree, worst time to be a soldier!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That is a nice display of bullets in those trays Dean.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Scary but interesting period !
    Like all the bullets ( and the bayonet too) !
    I've don a lot of shooting ( competition) with civil war guns , and other black powder guns. Revolvers like Starr and colt .36 navy being among my favorites ;-)

Mfg
    Marc

Hello,

this bayonet is a "extra seitengewehr M71", which means that it is a private purchase fancy weapon used by soldiers with the walking out uniform

It is copying the standard bayonet used with the Mauser rifle M 1871, black powder cartridge single shooter, but the part which is broken is made of brass instead of steel for the original weapon

The engraved blade is also specific to the fancy pieces and the motto used indicates that this particular example was intended to be worn by imperial troops such as Seebataillone, Schutztruppen or Marine Troops

Interesting item, but in bad shape and with a broken part

?

Thank you.

DEan O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2