Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

opinion wanted

Article about: Hi Guys This is a little off topic but I just bought a new (to me) used camera yesterday and I am trying to see if it will work on close-up shots.

Default opinion wanted

Hi Guys
    This is a little off topic but I just bought a new (to me) used camera
    yesterday and I am trying to see if it will work on close-up shots.

So the first picture was taken with the new camera of my Meybauer pinback.
    The second picture of the same cross was done on my flatbed scanner.
    Does the camera shot give enough detail to make it worth my while playing
    around with it? Honest opinions wanted and encouraged.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture opinion wanted   opinion wanted  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement opinion wanted
    P
    Many

Not Quite sharp enough on minute details like the silver beading frame...but Close!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I prefer the scanner shot!...

Thanks,
    That was my impression also. The original image seamed clearer and I think
    it lost a little detail when I resized it in photoshop.
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I prefer the scanner shot!...
    Thank you
    gregM

myself around.

MAP
    ?

They both have pros and cons. But overall the scanner looks better
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Second one all the way

The scanner shot is better, except it's not a shot... but a better image. 1st of all the lighting is more consistent, but almost to the point of being a little blah. Photography is a lot tougher than using the scanner. There is too much light on the left side of the cross in the camera pic, it's slightly "washed out", and you've got camera blur, or maybe the camera is tilted a little and the depth of field really shallow, but there's something about it that isn't quite right.

You need a tabletop tripod to do decent photography, as well a very diffused source of light. You also need to stop that lens down a few stops, to f8 or somewhere in the middle of the range, and then give it a longer exposure to make up for the small aperture, but that is how you get depth of field.

I believe you can do much better than the flatbed scanner with a camera, unless it's just not a very good one, but... it's more work. But it can have it's rewards. Someone posted an EK just a couple days ago and it was gorgeous, really captured the nuances of the aging of the silver are the outside edge. Really well done, and when well done, this particular example would really pop.
    Last edited by Larboard; 10-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    The scanner shot is better, except it's not a shot... but a better image. 1st of all the lighting is more consistent, but almost to the point of being a little blah. Photography is a lot tougher than using the scanner. There is too much light on the left side of the cross in the camera pic, it's slightly "washed out", and you've got camera blur, or maybe the camera is tilted a little and the depth of field really shallow, but there's something about it that isn't quite right.

You need a tabletop tripod to do decent photography, as well a very diffused source of light. You also need to stop that lens down a few stops, to f8 or somewhere in the middle of the range, and then give it a longer exposure to make up for the small aperture, but that is how you get depth of field.

I believe you can do much better than the flatbed scanner with the macro lens, unless it's just not a very good one, but... it's more work. But it can have it's rewards. Someone posted an EK just a couple days ago and it was gorgeous, really captured the nuances of the aging of the silver are the outside edge. Really well done, and when well done, this particular example would really pop.
    Thanks for the reply. This shot was taken using a tripod and self timer and in Macro mode.
    I did not mess with my depth of field and it was just a quick experiment. in fact it was only
    the second picture taken with this camera. I did not bother with setting up my light box and
    I have not yet figured out how to disable the automatic flash. I almost never use a flash. I much
    prefer to set up my own lighting.

"Photography is a lot tougher than using the scanner" I do appreciate your comments. I am trying
    out my new camera not my first camera.
    The scanner has always been a quick fall back for me as it does take time to set up everything
    for a photo shoot. It is especially tough when my wife also needs to use our only table for her
    projects.
    gregM

myself around.

Hi Greg,
    I can only say that I have found that lighting is as important as a steady hand or a tripod.
    Other than that, practice!
    When resizing photos I normally save them with the largest side at 1600 pixels.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast