Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on M-1895 PICKELHAUBE

Article about: by stuka f Looks like one missed a great opportunity.... :-( |< Hi, for 279\\$

Default Opinions on M-1895 PICKELHAUBE

Hi, as you all know this is not my field.
    However these are beautiful and really want one.
    Im guessing the helmet itself is original but the front plate lacks detail, so its a repro?
    Im i right?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE   Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE  

Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE   Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE  

Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on  M-1895 PICKELHAUBE
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions on M-1895 PICKELHAUBE

Nuno, a Model 1895 Prussian line Infantry Pickelhaube......it has been messed with at some time in its long life...brad split domed pins holding the spike base are wrong ones, and the reinforcement plate has been placed incorrectly on the outside rather than on the inside....missing its cockades and chinstrap (These can be sourced on E-Bay). The crack could be repaired or left as is...but I would secure the rear visor where it has come away from the main body.....also someone appears to have re dyed the lining and undersides of the visors...all the fittings look original to me including the front plate (Wappen).If at the right price, buy it !

Quote by oradour View Post
    Nuno, a Model 1895 Prussian line Infantry Pickelhaube......it has been messed with at some time in its long life...brad split domed pins holding the spike base are wrong ones, and the reinforcement plate has been placed incorrectly on the outside rather than on the inside....missing its cockades and chinstrap (These can be sourced on E-Bay). The crack could be repaired or left as is...but I would secure the rear visor where it has come away from the main body.....also someone appears to have re dyed the lining and undersides of the visors...all the fittings look original to me including the front plate (Wappen).If at the right price, buy it !
    Thank you so much Steve.
    You are truly the "Imperial" man.
    About the date stamp, is it correct in your opinion?

?

as it is 100 yrs young now,im not suprised this pickelhaube has been played with, think of how many hands it has been in, very nice item, and fantastic reply from "mr imperial"

Hi Nuno...the date "1916" is not when it was made but when it was last entered into a clothing depot of an Army Korps, which is "B.A.X??" partly obscured, (Bekleidungsamt X??,Clothing depot Army group X??) as it also shows a Regimental marking for "I.R.60", which is for "Infanterie-Regt. Markgraf Carl (7.Brandenburgisches) Nr.60" garrisonned at Weissenburg, part of XXI Armee Korps...then its a fair guess that the partly obscured B.A. marking could read "B.A.XXI".
    Prost ! Steve.
    p.s. after further examination of the photo (enlarged) it would appear the rear visor has become completly detached, and it has being held on by a strip of material glued to the body and inside of the said visor......could be repaired.

?

Actually, I disagree with Steve at some points. First of all, this is actually a very late ersatz version of the M95. This model has some different features than the earlier ones we are used to see.
    Specificly for this economy model:
    - The helmet shell isn't made of leather, but of papier maché (kind of pressed paper)
    - Not always a reinforcement plate for the spike (what you see on the picture is an imprint of the spike, not a reinforcement plate put on the outside)
    - The leather of the liner is extremely thin and always has this glossy black finish. In this case, it's actually a miracle that the liner hasn't fallen apart...
    - Both visors are made of a kind of plastic, not leather (so in this case the correct visors in the correct color)
    - The helmet plate is rather thin and has very little detail (also correct in this case)
    - the cocades are thinner than the normal ones and have most of the time bad paint
    To conclude: This is a rare and extremely hard to find version of the enlisted man's M95 Prussian Pickelhaube with a few issues. Chinstrap and cocades are missing, rear visor has to be reattached and the plate has to be removed, the split pins of the spike are not correct and the helmet plate has to be attached by the standard leather tabs.

Hope this helps you,

Adler

A few (sorry, old) pictures of another one...

Adler...I concede to your superior knowledge......great info !
    Prost ! Steve.

I failed to get it last night. I fell a sleep with 2h30 left to the end of the auction.
    When i woke up it had ended and someone had bid on it.
    There goes a cheap opportunity to get one.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Hi Nuno,
    How much did it go for ??

MFG
    Marc

Looks like one missed a great opportunity....
    :-(
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast